iPad mini Terrible iOS 8.1 performance on Ipad mini 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Alundra, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Alundra macrumors regular

After having huge issues with the iPad air 2 display I've decided to sell it and get an iPad mini 2.

Fortunately the iPad mini 2 display is perfect and has no issues. However it's super slow and I mean slow like a 80 dollar Android tablet. Is this happening to everyone with an iPad mini 2 in 8.1 or what?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

It's just iOS 8 which is why my Air is still running 7 and i'm not upgrading. Apple really needs to hire competent in-house software engineers who know the meaning of proper code optimization.

3. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

You sure it's not because your air2 was faster?!

4. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

What is running slow? Any particular app?
    My Mini2 is running just as fast as it ever did. Everything is instant.

5. Alundra thread starter macrumors regular

Unresponsiveness and Low fps on everything.

----------

No. Before the iPad air 2 I had an air 1 and non reruns mini and they were faster

6. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I just recently purchased an iPad mini 2 and it's been less than two days since I got it. It came 7.1.1 and I updated to 8.1 right after unboxing it so I can't really say how it performed under the previous OS but one thing for me it's clear is how terrible iOS 8.1 is on this tablet compared to my iPhone 5s. During the time I have used the tablet I have had Safari at least lock up 3 times having me have to force quit the app in order to get the device usable again not to mention it's happened when I have been typing making me lose what I had just typed in (Like this post, for example :mad:) and tabs reloading on a constant basis if I have anything more than three tabs open plus some glitches on the settings app. Is it normal for this model?

7. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

The iPad Mini 2 has been very slow on 8.1. Several apps are slow as well as Safari. I've tried restoring and rebooting and neither helped.

8. quamsi macrumors regular

I have an iPad mini 2 and HATE it on IOS 8.1! So many bugs, crashes, etc. So frustrating to not fully enjoy this device. I really wish I could downgrade to IOS 7.

9. newellj macrumors 603

Same here, and no crashes, etc. Runs like a champ, just as well as it did with 7.x.

10. Wbutchart macrumors regular

My mini 2 on iOS 8 is running fine. No issues at all.

11. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I upgraded my iPad mini 2 to iOS 8 before giving it to a family member. I worked fine and just as fast as 7. Where are you noticing this "super slow"-ness?

Trust me, any lag there is its probably much better then a $100 Sam's Club Android tablet that a friend had. Now that thing was a hunk of junk and broke a week later. (It was so bad, they returned it an bought a 1st Gen iPad! In 2014!)

12. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Mine doesn't feel slow overall, but 8.1 is easily the buggiest software I've ever experienced...and I used to endure forced betas of the products of certain Apple competitors. Safari freezes, homescreen rotation lags significantly, the occasional springboard crash--it definitely doesn't "just work" on the rMini, the Air, or my husband's iPhone 5.

Hoping 8.1.1 and beyond provides some relief from this mess.

13. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

My mini 2 also runs fine on 8.1 except for WIFI issues but rarely.

14. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

This is what is so bad about Apple. They claim "updates," which implies good things, and they completely cripple the devices so you have to go and buy another one. I'm beginning to think this whole system is criminal. If they would just allow you to go back to an older ios, or simply suggest an optimal ios for each device, then it would be fine. But they're not in the business of being transparent with their customers.

15. Wbutchart macrumors regular

Yeah I switched the 5ghz frequency off on my router. No problems since.

16. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

My mini 2 is running great under iOS 8.1 After being on this site for a few years, I'm starting to think that I'm either not picky enough or unobservant of all the horrid problems other seem to suffer.

17. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Sadly their growth and market share has somehow absolved Apple of the product hardware and software refinement we once knew of them.

18. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I haven't noticed any drop in performance on my mini 2 since going from 7 to 8.1. Works great.

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

Mine still works fine. Haven't found any performance issues on 8.1

20. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Given Apple's history with iOS "upgrades"; I still don't understand why people continue to keep hitting that "Install Upgrade" button! New OS's on old hardware seldom get any of the new "features" while they do carry an inordinate burden of sluggishness.

Apple's primary source of income is hardware sales, the OS updates are given away for free. They have no financial incentive to spend resources to optimize new OS to run smoothly on older hardware - each second a programmer spends to optimize new code for old hardware is a hit to their margins.

Actually they have a good financial incentive to take every opportunity to nudge users to buy new hardware, before the old hardware physically gives up. There is a reason why they go out of their way to lock users out of upgrading/ accessing anything.

21. New Apple macrumors regular

22. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

No, it's not. I am using my second rMini 2 and it runs perfectly fast. No lags, no stutters - I have an occasional hick up, abut not often. I did have home button issues with my first unit. I can only assume one of 2 things are going on with yours.
    1. You are running your new unit from a backup and there are some issues with that. Or
    2. You have a defective unit.
    The solution to your problem doesn't llie within the MacRumors user base, but with Apple - Just Ask : 1 (800) 692-7753
    They can remotely connect to your tablet and run a diagnostic. If the unit is defective they will put a replacement in the mail to you. If you have other issues, they will narrow them down and/or make a Genius Bar appointment for you.
    Either way, you will get the problem resolved and have a speedy tablet that you can enjoy.
    I also offer the above advice to the others in this thread with issues with their rMini 2 units.

23. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Because all of these updates say that it brings "fixes and improvements." This coming directly from apple - who wouldn't want bug fixes and improvements? And this coming from directly from the company. It's just plain wrong. Maybe not illegal, but definitely borderline immoral, or at the very least, deceptive. Crippling their own products so people will go and buy new hardware. When the device runs just fine without the upgrade.

24. AJB1971 macrumors member

I think that some of the data can get corrupted when upgrading from one version of iOS to another and this can adversely affect the performance.

After an update, I noticed that the battery life on one of my earlier iPads had halved. Resetting the device did not solve the issue, nor did reinstalling from a backup. When I set the iPad up as a new device and downloaded all of my apps separately, the problem was gone.

When I upgraded my Air from iOS 7 to iOS 8 the device seemed glitchy, but after I did a clean install, the performance was as good as it had been before.

The downside is that it can take a few hours, dependent on how many apps you have, and you do lose some data, game progress etc.

25. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

It "fixes and improves" the likelihood of the customer getting frustrated with their existing device and buying a new one, increasing their revenue. :apple: