Terrible Magic Mouse lag on MBP Quadcore?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AHDuke99, Sep 3, 2011.

1. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Hi all,

I just got my new quad core MBP this week, and I have been noticing horrendous lag when using a Magic Mouse with it. It seems to act up whenever the HD starts spinning when I'm doing something intensive like playing a game or editing a movie. Anyway, I do not remember this happening in my 2009 C2D MBP. Is this my mouse on the edge of dying or is it a known issue to these new machines? It's really annoying and I'd hate to have to switch back to a wired mouse...

2. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Right, because Magic Mouse is the only wireless mouse in existence

3. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Is it a Magic Mouse problem or a bluetooth problem though? The mouse never acted up like this on my 2009 MBP.

4. KazeKrazy macrumors member

KazeKrazy

No, but it is the only wireless APPLE mouse. Also the only wireless MULTI-TOUCH mouse.

In response to the thread, it could be a setting within the System Preferences that interferes with something. I can't help you directly, but maybe check those S.P on the Trackpad vs Mouse. Sorry I'm no help D:

5. duncanbrodie1 macrumors member

try changing the batteries? if not. take a look at how many other bluetooth devices are connected. try shutting some of them off

6. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Just replaced the batteries. I have a keyboard connected as well, but as I said, this didn't effect my older MBP. It would be disappointing if the newer models have lesser quality components than the older ones. I shut off my other laptop thinking it may be interfering with the signal somehow. I'll report back and see if that was what was doing it.

7. NorthDakota91 macrumors member

I have a bluetooth mouse, too (not a MM but a Logitech V470) and it was behaving just like you said: when using intensive programs like Photoshop and games it was very laggy (the cursor jumped from one screen edge to another).

To resolve the problem, I've bought this thing: Logitech Portable Lapdesk N315 (25 euros, weird!!). Now the problem is gone completely.

This problem seems to be related to the surface on which the mouse is used: try to use a mouse pad (or something similar) and see if it fixes your problem! Hope that helped

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I wouldnt say connecting a lot of Bluetooth would affect it.
    I have, Magic mouse, Apple wireless keyboard, Bluetooth Speakers, Bluetooth headset and iPhone 3GS is connected but I have no problem.

It must be the Bluetooth on the MBP or the mouse.
    Try using other Bluetooth accessories and see.
    If it works fine, its the mouses fault.
    If not, its your MBP's.

9. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

youre missing something big here...

Sarcasm :rolleyes:

10. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I don't know, seeing as the two are synonymous in this case I don't think it matters. It's either a problem on the laptop side or the mouse side.

Without having a different mouse and a different laptop it'll be hard to narrow down the problem.

My solution would be to buy another mouse. They can be had for $40.

----------

I don't know about all that, but OP clearly said he didn't want to have to go back to a wired mouse.

In any case, why does the mouse have to be Apple?

11. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I think I may have solved my problem. I put my laptop on a stand and shut down my other laptop. Either the other laptop was interfering with the signal or something else, but it seems to be working somewhat normally now. I just ran a game and it didn't lag up and the mouse wasn't unusable.

12. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Ditto. Same behavior here. Is definitely limited to I/O working hard. Running a large copying or backup operation renders it practically unusable. At the same time I noted, that it need not be an internal disk involved. I'm currently running a backup from a network drive into an external drive...

Can't remember that the mouse would have ever crapped up like this with the iMac it came with (a quad-core as well). Maybe the Broadcom Bluetooth 3.0 chip BCM4331 (which is an addition in quad core MBP's) is the culprit...

Gear in sig.