TERRIBLE (ongoing) experience with Apple Repair!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Elotheos, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Elotheos macrumors newbie

I was having problems with my macbook pro (would originally get stuck at apple screen, and now wont even turn on) so i took it in for repair on feb 22. They told me that i needed a new logicboard and possibly a new hardrive. I was quoted a 3-5 day repair time and was 100% ok with that.

The days came and went and i never received a call to update me on the status of my repair. Im a rather patient person, but on monday march 7th (the 13th day without my computer) i decided to give Apple a call. I explained my frustration and told them that if i was quoted a 2 week repair time, than that would have been fine... but 13 days on a 3-5 day repair quote is just unnacceptable. The genius told me that it was taking longer because they had to call me to dicuss data transfer options and that that extends the turn around time. I had never received any calls/missed calls/voicemails throughout this whole period of time and this was the first time i had talked to anyone about my computer since i had dropped it off on the 22nd. They were extremely apologetic and assured me that my hardrive was being shipped and would most likely be here the next day. If not, they would give me a call to "discuss other options."

By 8:00 pm on tuesday, i assumed that the part didnt come in and i wouldnt be getting a call, so i called them again and asked to speak to a manager. They transferred me to the store manager and i explained my whole situation. She was also extremely apologetic and said that my repair would be expedited, but that they were still waiting for the hardrive to come in and it should be here "in a day or two."

So now im getting the runaround from the store manager and the geniuses, nobody has ever called me despite the fact they said they would, and i have to keep calling and bothering them for a solution to this ridiculous situation. They have offered me no other options as far as replacements/upgrades/compensation and continue to give me the run around. Today is day 15 without my computer and i am planning on calling their corporate office to try and get this problem resolved.

Anybody else run into a situation like this and have any advice for handling it in a polite, yet effective manner?

2. mr0c macrumors regular

mr0c

Given that it seems like you only just spoke to the store manager yesterday, I'd give them a day or two to see what happens.

Then call and ask for the store manager if you haven't had any feedback. Explain your concerns (I'd also check they have the right contact numbers & email for you too) that you feel let down by Apple and the whole experience.

This way you give the manager some time to sort it out. I know when my MBP failed it did take 6 days for the logic board to be replaced and they specifically got me to sign that the data on the drive wasn't their responsibility - so it seems like doing the transfer is helping you out.

If there are still delays then mention to the store manager that as she has been unable to help you, you will have to escalate it to get it resolved. This can normally focus some further attention without sounding rude.
    Good luck :)

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

This is perfectly normal in the sense that sometimes repairs do take longer than expected whether it be due to high volume of repair or the part just not in store and they need to order it. The Apple store handled the situation poorly, they didn't call you to inform you of the delays.

There's not much you can do about it and calling corporate or e-mailing Steve Jobs isn't really going to do much. What I suggest is just wait it out and when you go pick up your Mac, speak to the manager about any compensation or what they can do for you post-repair since the situation was handled incorrectly.

4. pricej636 macrumors 6502

So wait, they are waiting for a new HDD to come in to swap into your computer? I can't believe they don't have a HDD in stock. I have no idea what you should do... but I wouldn't settle for a two week repair.

5. Elotheos thread starter macrumors newbie

Pumped

Well no offense, but im really glad i didnt listen to your guys XD I called customer relations and voiced my complaint, and they agreed that it was 100% unnacceptable and offered to ship me a brand new core i7 macbook pro!

My faith in Apple has been restored!

6. wesrk macrumors 6502a

A happy ending then. Apple sure knows what makes us happy.

7. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

May be we should preface all help posts. "Feel free to ignore this." Glad all ended well.

8. Elotheos thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, well i had found the number for customer relations before anyone had responded to the post, so i figured it was worth a shot. The last thing i wanted to do was "wait a couple more days" seeing as it has already been 15 days. The store manager was unwilling to work with me, so i had to unfortunately go over her head :/ Hopefully nobody else has to deal with this headache, or will at least get a new MBP out of it if they do!

Thanks for the replies guys :)

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Is customer relations just by dialing the Apple number and getting transferred after talking to front line, etc, or did you find an entirely different number? If the latter, what is it?

10. Elotheos thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried their corporate office but they were closed, so i tried another number that i found for customer relations on another thread that was 1-800-767-2775 i believe. Good luck!

11. TomCondon macrumors regular

I just hope that the covetous people who've been here recently about returning months old MBPs don't exploit this.

Glad things worked out for you

12. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

If it's a warranty repair, Apple's internal policy is order-as-need. Warranty parts aren't typically aloud to be stocked.