Terrible Terrible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dakdag, Jul 24, 2008.

1. dakdag macrumors newbie

Alright after being a first gen user and contemplating picking up the 3g, I made the leap. After standing in line for 4 hours in Dallas, I got a 16gb white just in time for my vacation to sonoma county. Never been to cali and gps is navigating me around just great. On a trip my girlfriend was on GPS duty late at night and she sets the phone down in her lap. Well after about 30 seconds she realizes that she has put it in a full glass of mimosa!!!!!!!! Let the phone dry out for a couple of days. It works when it's on the charger but when it's off it just cycles on and off like it's trying to boot up but won't (apple on, apple off) I'm assuming it's a short circuit in the battery? Any suggestions? Both water damage sensors are red so no chance of replacement. UGH! PS. Please don't flame my GF. She's such a sweetheart and she felt so bad that I couldn't get mad at her!

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I'm so sorry.

No suggestions here, just sympathy. :(

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I've read of people placing electronics in a bag of rice to dry it out even more.

Sorry to hear that. Hope the rest of your vacation went well.

4. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

RIP. This is a sad day for all of us. My accept my condolances.

P.S- The rice worked for my 1st gen when it was dropped in the toilet. Keep it in the bag for a day or two. A 1lb bag should be enough. Good luck.

5. slicecom macrumors 68020

You better milk this for all its worth! You can use it against her for months, if not years! ;)

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

7. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

8. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Forget about it for a few days.....I know it may be hard but if you keep turning it on it will continue to give you problems. I have had this happen before (Not with an iphone) and I placed mine in front of a fan for 2 days and it started working fine again.

Otherwise, if you have insurance or something....run over it with a truck and carry the pieces back.

9. off in the wood macrumors regular

haha... stay classy san diego

10. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

what does that mean

11. walindour macrumors member

Hmmmm

GPS duty late at night......does that imply she's in the car......with a mimosa.

My kind of people! :D

Sorry for the situation - good luck.

12. California macrumors 68040

California

Personally I would do something even more drastic, I think I would put it in a tub of distilled water, to get out the sugar of the mimosa drink which messes with contacts. Then I would let it dry for three days. The rice trick, too.

Sugar in the drink is a big problem for electronics, from what I hear.

13. off in the wood macrumors regular

haha = means you made me laugh

stay classy san diego = is a line from anchorman

14. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

You have our sincerest sympathies.

Maybe this was your girlfriend's passive-aggressive way of telling you that she's jealous of the amount of time you spend with your iPhone. :rolleyes:

15. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

I don't think you have a choice. Dump her, a new girlfriend is easier to get than a new iPhone 3g. :D

16. dakdag thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, there's no doubt about that! Do you guys think that's a battery issue that would be fixed by getting a replacement battery. I found a company that does it in san antonio for 45 bucks. Might be worth a shot?

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Maybe, but you don't know for a fact it's the battery. It could be the circuitry on the phone itself that regulates battery voltage that's the problem.

In any case, if you manage to get it repaired, or if you end up getting a new one, get yourself an extended warranty on that guy through SquareTrade or insure it through an insurance company.

18. bluelondon macrumors regular

my heart goes out to you and your poor iphone. definately take your gf in for a replacement when you get a chance :D

just messing. but do try the bag of dry rice trick, it worked for alot of people. just leave the iphone in the bag for a day or two.

19. MacSKY macrumors member

Just curious, where are the water damage sensors on the iPhone? I know on most cell phones they lie under the battery or somewhere in the battery compartment. A friend and I were just talking about this the other day after I was pushed into the pool (fully clothed and unexpected). Thank God I didn't have my iPhone in my pocket, but it stirred up conversation about what would happen if it would have been? My suggestion would be to call Apple and find out what they suggest? A simple battery change might not be that expensive.

20. dakdag thread starter macrumors newbie

So I made an appointment at the genius bar just to go in and see what my options were. I got a totally cool guy who I keep nameless. I told him exactly what happened. He informed me he couldnt do anything because of the water damage, but he could sell me another from the genius bar for the 299 price. I was sure I was going to have to pay 600 so I said great. (FYI - the store was out but they have replacement stock) He started the process. I mentioned to him that mine had a couple specs of dust under the screen and it was an obvious mfg defect so could he just swap it out for free with me. After a little convincing he agreed and I walked out with a brand new Iphone. I got so lucky and I hope others can get that lucky too! Thanks for the comments and the help. I'm a long time reader but frequent poster but I always come back because this forum is so much more douche bag free than all the others!

21. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

sweet. congrats on that. you must have found a nice guy to swap the phones. i'd still milk it with your girlfriend :)

22. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

I'd still dump her.

23. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

One tip for anyone who submerges anything electronic. Whatever you do DO NOT TURN IT ON.

Keep it off until you have gone through extensive drying procedures which will likely take you several days. If you do not ever turn the device on during this time the chances of damage can be potentially reduced greatly.

24. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Make her buy you a new one

I could just see me telling my girlfriend that. "No, it's ok honey. Just be sure to get your ass in line tomorrow morning to get me another one"

I think she would physically assault me :eek: