Terrible wifi reception -- way to improve?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lacereza, Aug 13, 2008.

1. lacereza macrumors regular

Just got an MBP recently. THe Airport reception is terrible. I have my old iBook G4 sitting next to it on the desk getting three bars, and it's only on the first one. I know that the aluminium isn't so good for this, but my Airport Express is only 20 metres away!

Are there any tricks?

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Try another channel on the AE. Also make sure you are using b/g/n and not n only as your ibook will force the network to a slower speed. This would greatly affect the speed of your MBP.

3. lhotka macrumors regular

60' for an express? Depending on what's between you and it, that's right at the edge for an express.

I have found that you're much better off running two networks: a 2.4 GHz N-only for the MBP, and a n/b/g one for everything else. Since a single slower device forces the whole network to degrade, your ibook may be causing the problems. You'd also be better off using an extreme than an express - much better antenna.

Alternatively, if you have an extreme and an express, you can extend the network.

If you're going to stay with a b/g or n/b/g compatible network, make sure that you don't have a bunch of other nets operating on the same channel.

Last, make sure you don't have a 2.4 GHz cordless phone - that causes BIG problems with wi-fi.