Terrible Youtube quality over 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dr. Cabrera, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Is there anyway to get the wifi videos to load when we are on wifi

I have a 7" monitor and the crappy 3g videos look even worse when blown up on a much larger monitor

if not is there any other way to play music videos on the go ( ie other websites/apps)

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Could I inquire as to where you got an iPhone with a 7" screen?

Don

3. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

When you have Wifi enabled in the iPhone settings, every time you launch an internet app and Wifi is in the area, it will pop-up a message asking you if you want to use that wifi, and password if needed.

From then on, like if it was your home Wifi, it will auto switch to that no question. And when on Wifi, you should get normal youtube quality from the the youtube app, but I don't know if it will use the high quality option some videos have now.

As an alternative when stuck on 3G, try Truveo app. It allows you to search for podcasts and other sources like youtube. And I've tested it on some of my youtube videos over 3G and it used the high quality option the video had, and only a small pause before playing. If you have a bad 3G signal, it may stop in the middle unless you let it load for a while.

Truveo has a glitch, at least for me, that when on 3G and you launch it, it says no internet found. I fix this by loading say the Youtube app, possibly any internet app, just long enough to see it load a picture, then quit reload Truveo.

It would be great if Truveo had bookmarks or favorites.

I'm guessing he has a AV cable.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Just wondering who carries a 7" monitor (do they even make those:confused:) around, with them? Most people hooking there iPhones up to monitors use them at home where I would assume he has WiFi.

Don

5. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Are there portable screens for iPods, like small portable dvd players, but designed to dock with Video iPods,which might work somewhat with iPhones or an iPod Touch?

But never mind 7 inches, the Youtube app over 3G or EDGE on the iPhone already looks horrible on its smaller screen.

6. Dr. Cabrera thread starter macrumors 65816

Haha you guys are funny I installed a 7" monitor into my cars dash ( I made a thread, search my old posts)and connected my iPhone 3g using the av cables

Thanks for the truveo idea I'll take a look and post my results

DUDE it worked!!!!!!
    Not as high quality as the wifi version( Stronger by kanye west music video) but waaaaaay better than the 3g version

SADLY though

truveo does not send a video out signal like youtube... the search for high quality video on the road continues

7. Dr. Cabrera thread starter macrumors 65816

Update

it seems that you can "conserve" the high quality videos over 3g by doing a bit of a trick

1) start loading video over wifi signal
    2) get into car and start playing wifi video
    3) once you get far enough away from wifi spot, it will switch to 3g

4) as long as you don't close the youtube app, all further videos will stream high quality over 3g.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Isn't high quality YouTube a bit of an oxymoron? ;)
    AFAIK, the videos should be adaptive so will present the best resolution, etc for your current connection speed. If the video that's been uploaded is poor quality however then it won't matter what you're connecting with, it will still be poor quality

9. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Youtube now has decent quality when it has the High Quality option, sometimes flawless looking, if done right.

The youtube app on the iPhone is playing well below their normal quality when using 3G. If you play a particular video that has the new High Quality, it's like 2 steps above what you'd expect. Suddenly you'll have a razor sharp 480*360 picture on the iPhone. I've noticed Truveo plays the high quality option automatically over 3G. Even on youtube's website it doesn't default to HQ unless you choose it after it already started.

Of course if the source was bad, nothing will save that, same with other online video services. But seeing how you can upload upto a 1gig 640*480 10 minute reference to youtube, it's easy to for their system to compresses it into their high quality option that looks great.

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

Oh good...now we're not only texting while driving...we're watching TV. Excellent.