Terry Pratchett in the iBookstore?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jlforester, Apr 28, 2010.

1. jlforester macrumors newbie

I don't know why Apple didn't make it possible to shop for books directly from iTunes, so I have a question for current iPad owners: are any of Terry Pratchett's books available in the iBookstore? The slide shown at the iPad announcement back in January listed Harper as one of the publishers Apple has on-board, so I'm hopeful.

And, while you're checking, what about Vince Flynn's books?

2. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

I see a number of books from both those authors in iBook.

3. jlforester thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great news to hear! I'm a Terry Pratchett addict. :D Thanks for looking!

4. kultschar macrumors 6502a

The price might put you off though!! Ive found myself going to the darkside (Amazon)

5. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

1) Pratchett fans unite!

2) Wow, after a few cursory searches of the ibookstore I'd given up and had never even thought to check for Pratchett. Very nice that they carry his stuff.

3) Not seeing a reason to be scared of the prices--they seemed to be 5.99-7.99 in ibookstore, and my first hit on amazon (thud) was 7.99. Maybe the prior poster can clarify.

Was shocked at how low the cost was, actually. I've been assembling a 'homebrew' (cough) library of ebook copies of books I already own in dead-tree format, and the ones I've had to rebuy digitally have run $10-$25.

6. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Hi Gwynne, I must admit I didnt check out the prices on iBooks for Pratchett (glad to hear they are low) I was just going by the books i am interested in. Hopefully new books are lowered in price like Pratchetts 5.99-7.99 is very reasonable)

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

Even if iBook doesn't have it, you can buy it from Amazon and read it in their Kindle app. BN will have an iPad ready to go in a while. You can also try any of the store that sells DRM-free ePub books and import it via iTunes.

8. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Ah, yeah, it was probably a reasonable guess that they'd be higher then--my experiences so far have certainly been thus. I only checked because your post had me curious, and was pleasantly surprised. $10 is the *least* I've paid for anything so far.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I seem to have bad luck with the amazon and iBook store. Both titles i am reading in paper form now aren't in either store. Kind of a bummer.

10. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

I can't ever seem to get through The Color of Magic, but my sister has read everything he's ever published. I should probably give him another go.

11. MikhailT macrumors 601

Not everybody have the same taste, just because your sister loves it doesn't mean you should force yourself to read it. Read something else by him or move on to another book. There are far more books out there that you can read and unfortunately life's too short to read all of the books. Just read as much as you can that interests you.

12. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I have on occasion found stuff that amazon didn't have on Mobipocket.com, and drm removal is roughly the same.

In my opinion he was still finding his voice back then. They're not as serialized as, say, harry potter, so you could try jumping in with a later book. I certainly didn't read them in order originally.

13. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

Well, my sister and I tend to have similar taste. Also, he kind of reminds me a little of Douglas Adams, who I love. I guess I just wasn't captivated by the first Discworld book. Heh.

14. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I'd recommend going to the wikipedia discworld page, I believe they list the major 'themes' of each book. He is usually parodying a few major themes in each one (shakespeare, opera, vampires, organized religion, etc). See if one catches your interest and then try that one. At the risk of repeating myself, he makes it very easy for new readers to jump in at any book.

15. Doooogle macrumors newbie

As others have suggested, you can jump in at a later book in the Discworld series.

Another great choice for the Terry Pratchett novice is 'Good Omens', co-authored with Neil Gaimann... one of my all time favourite books. I now refuse to lend my hard-copy to anybody because I've bought it at least five times and 'borrowers' have always turned into 'book-thieves'....