Tesco Iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gilljoy, Sep 17, 2010.

1. gilljoy macrumors member

anyone know if you can buy this from apple instore? or will i have to try and get one from tesco directly?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple Stores only sell full-price unlocked phones. If you want one that is cheaper with a contract you have to get it from the network/store that offers that contract.

3. gilljoy thread starter macrumors member

really? i could of swore the victoria square store was doing the o2 early upgrade ones

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I bought my iPhone 3G on contract with O2 from an Apple store.

When did they stop doing contracts?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Why don't you phone and ask them then? My understanding is that they'll see you the same product as the on-line Apple store: unlocked, full-price phones only.

Pre-iPhone 4 was different: the phones were network locked and, apart from latter on in the 3GS life span, there was only one network. Now that the phones are unlocked and all networks are offering contracts the complexity of keeping all that in stock and training the staff to offer the correct advice (as if a customer asks the assistant about tariffs and is told the wrong thing Apple could be liable) has gone way up. So my understanding is that Apple only offer unlocked, SIM free phones. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

6. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

They don't offer to do the contracts anymore in an Apple store. Imagining keeping SIMs for 5 networks and having information of every tariff etc with the added paperwork? They offer to help set you up. I saw the poster offering to help set people up with their carriers, although with most people having the much bigger original SIMs - I don't know what this help actually entails.

However to the point of Tescos - you need to go into a Tesco Extra store and pick it up personally. You cannot get a Tesco contract (or any other) at any Apple store.