Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barrywatts

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2009
anyone know if they will have 16/32gb versions in the store? with the touch they only had 8gb although now seeing as they're 1 of 3 providers it would be daft not to have the 3gs

RA19

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2009
Warwickshire, UK
anyone know if they will have 16/32gb versions in the store? with the touch they only had 8gb although now seeing as they're 1 of 3 providers it would be daft not to have the 3gs

If you look at the original poster's screen grab from the Tesco website, you will see the 16gb and 32gb 3G S models listed with prices.
:)

omegac

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
Just bought mine from Tesco on PAYG, works with an O2 sim in it which is good, but can't do a proper unlock as it has the newest baseband which is a shame :rolleyes:

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
Bought a £20/month Pay Monthly 8GB 3G from Tesco - doing great so far, though am still waiting for my number to be ported across. Amusingly, still shows the carrier as "O2-UK", though...

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
To me it still works out cheapest to just get the phone on Pay As You Go. £540 (Pay As You Go) vs. £647 (12 Months £20 a month contract)

The benefit of the Pay As You Go option is obviously shove some credit on the phone and only actually pay for what you use. You could pay the £20 for months but only use £5 worth of it one month and £25 worth another month. You lose out in the long term and your still locked in to the contract and your still paying more for the phone when its all said and done.

I use about £10-£12 of credit a month so for me even a £20 monthly rental makes no sense and I'd definitely want to upgrade to the next iPhone and I wouldn't mind paying the upfront cost of it and selling my current 32GB 3GS than opening up another 12 month contract and paying potentially £300-£400 still.

Just my take on it ;)

samwise

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2005
North Salt Lake, Utah
But don't do like me and head down to your local Tesco expecting it to be in stock to buy on contract - it's only available in stores with a Phone Shop and the store here apparently isn't big enough at about 100,000sqft....

Looks like I'll be heading off to Bournemouth to buy next week.

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
To me it still works out cheapest to just get the phone on Pay As You Go. £540 (Pay As You Go) vs. £647 (12 Months £20 a month contract)

The benefit of the Pay As You Go option is obviously shove some credit on the phone and only actually pay for what you use. You could pay the £20 for months but only use £5 worth of it one month and £25 worth another month. You lose out in the long term and your still locked in to the contract and your still paying more for the phone when its all said and done.

I use about £10-£12 of credit a month so for me even a £20 monthly rental makes no sense and I'd definitely want to upgrade to the next iPhone and I wouldn't mind paying the upfront cost of it and selling my current 32GB 3GS than opening up another 12 month contract and paying potentially £300-£400 still.

Just my take on it ;)

It's a good point, but given I was already paying £20/month, it's made the actual outlay for me to get an 8GB 3G £220, which is the first time any iPhone has actually come within my financial reach. I can't do £35/month for 18-24 months, even if it gets me the handset for free. Nor am I willing to throw down £340 for the handset, when all it's getting me is an 8GB 3G.

As for going on PAYG, I'm going to end up using a fair chunk of the credit that I get every month, so I'm not fussed about it. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.