Tesco UK Tethering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nishi100, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I will be buying the iPhone 5, when it comes out and will also be buying the iPad 2, when it comes out in the UK (25th March)

So, I was wondering, as tesco mobile don't support tethering, can I download mywi on my iPhone and tether to my iPad - even though tesco mobile doesn't support tethering even if you paid extra.

FYI: I'm choosing tesco because of the 5000 texts and 1gb data, for the cheap price. And, I'm assuming that the contract stays the same, when the iPhone 5 comes out.

2. terencemac macrumors member

terencemac

You can download it from Cydia.
    This will however involve jailbreaking the iphone.
    Not yet availble for 4.3. Will be very soon.

Tesco i believe will shortly allow tethering.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have you looked at Three?

Their 'The One Plan' includes 5000 texts, unlimited data and tethering for £35 per month.

4. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a good deal; but I don't like being tied down for 24 months, because I'll be upgrading every year now - buy then sell (not through the contractor : tesco) on ebay, after my contract has finished.

I've jailbroken my iPod Touch before, and, I assume, that jailbreaks for the iPhone are tied to the network that you're on.

5. androiphone macrumors 65816

why dont you buy the phone sim free from apple, then pair it with a PAYG or sim only deal from a network (3 allow tethering on all their data) eg 3 mobile £15 a month sim only 30 day deal gives you 300mins, 3000 texts and unlimited data (including tethering, VoIP, video streaming)

plus a sim free iphone will be worth slightly more than a locked one (assuming you cannot get it unlocked)
    also because you bought it from apple if it breaks you take it back to apple to be fixed instead of having to deal with tesco/the network.

(I know apple fixes all iphone but legally they are not required to and we cannot guess what will happen in the next 18 months, whether they withdraw that policy or not)

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I cannot see Apple withdrawing their hardware warranty - their customer support is their key selling point.

7. TheGodsInRed macrumors newbie

Not having to fork out £500 upfront (or whatever it will be) is the main reason i'll use Tesco again this year