Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tesla has updated its iPhone app with a completely redesigned user interface and Touch ID support for quick access to keyless driving.

tesla-app-version-3.jpg

The app now has a much cleaner aesthetic, a trio of shortcuts on the main screen for quick access to frequently used controls, and a more detailed render of the vehicle in the "Climate" menu. A new Today widget in Notification Center allows users to monitor their electric vehicle at a glance.

The Tesla app, now at version 3.0, is free on the App Store [Direct Link] for iPhone. The update is also available for Android.

(Thanks, Andrew!)

Article Link: Tesla Releases Completely Redesigned iPhone App With Touch ID Support

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013

Tesla has updated its iPhone app with a completely redesigned user interface and Touch ID support for quick access to keyless driving.

tesla-app-version-3.jpg

The app now has a much cleaner aesthetic, a trio of shortcuts on the main screen for quick access to frequently used controls, and a more detailed render of the vehicle in the "Climate" menu. A new Today widget in Notification Center allows users to monitor their electric vehicle at a glance.

The Tesla app, now at version 3.0, is free on the App Store [Direct Link] for iPhone. The update is also available for Android.

(Thanks, Andrew!)

Article Link: Tesla Releases Completely Redesigned iPhone App With Touch ID Support

About time. The old version was getting super long in the tooth.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Elon please become Apple's CEO
Yeah, maybe when he can actually run a company that generates a profit. He does not do so as Tesla CEO.

No dilettantes for Apple CEO. Tim might not be the flashiest CEO on the planet, but then again, he's running one of the world's largest companies by market capitalization. Plus, Steve Jobs picked Tim twice as the best person who could step in his shoes.

I am not impressed by Tesla's -$6.32 diluted EPS. Tesla has more debt than cash and the short ratio is over 7%. Of course, Tesla does not pay out any dividends.

If Elon wants to talk the talk, he needs to walk the walk. So far, he has not done so. It took Steve Jobs two attempts. Steve's enormous fortune before he passed away was largely due to the success and subsequent sale of Pixar to Disney, not to his Apple activities.

I actually like loose cannons like Elon, many of them are good for the industry. But Apple of 2017 isn't the Apple of 1997. I don't see AAPL as a growth stock any more, it is a value stock. That's fine, there are other stocks that have stepped into AAPL's shoes. It's unrealistic to imagine that a stock with AAPL's market cap will move like it did in the past.

(Disclaimer: I own AAPL, DIS and TSLA.)

Last edited:

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
But yet, still no CarPlay support...

Carplay isn't a function of the Tesla app though?

And what's the point of Carplay when my car has a superior navigation system and functions that Carplay can't possibly compete with?

I WOULD like Carplay mirroring for the media player only on the bottom half of my screen, but full Carplay would be a large step down.

Last edited:

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
I'm slightly negative on this redesign.

On the positive side, the background picture of your car looks nicer/larger, and the controls are somewhat more usable (once you get to a control screen). On the negative side, the initial screen now has a table view that takes you to the control screens - this table view takes up the bottom third of the screen. The prior version had the view that takes you to the control screens in a small tab bar at the bottom of the screen - this method allowed more space on the initial screen for controls and information.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Cook is no Elon :D

or Elon is no Cook? o_O

Actually, Elon is The Chef, not A Cook.

Anyone read WBW? No?
http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/11/the-cook-and-the-chef-musks-secret-sauce.html

Anyways... downloaded the app hoping maybe as the first update since they got 500K deposits for the Model 3 that maybe they'd have something special. Nope - I put in my credentials for MyTesla and I get an error message saying there's no delivered cars linked to my account yet. Won't even so much as let me remember the password.

Ah well. Doing a test drive of the Model S today. Hoping to figure out what all options I want for my 3.

Last edited:

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
I didn't even know such an app existed. :rolleyes:

Very cool though. Am I reading correctly that you can start the car with your phone? Is there a watch app as well? 'Cuz, you know, it's easier than taking your phone out of your pocket. ;) Better yet: "Hey Siri, start the up the Tesla, please."

can$rules

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2014
Very cool though. Am I reading correctly that you can start the car with your phone?

Not only that, but you can turn on the AC or heat remotely, so by the time you get to the car it is comfortable inside. My favourite feature, though, is the accurate gps locator. You can even track the car location and speed as it drives around. No more wandering around a mall parking lot trying to remember where I parked the car.

Reactions: Boatboy24

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
I didn't even know such an app existed. :rolleyes:

Very cool though. Am I reading correctly that you can start the car with your phone? Is there a watch app as well? 'Cuz, you know, it's easier than taking your phone out of your pocket. ;) Better yet: "Hey Siri, start the up the Tesla, please."

The official app does not have a watch app. However, Remote S does, and you can use it to start the car from your Apple Watch.

Reactions: Boatboy24

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Yeah, maybe when he can actually run a company that generates a profit. He does not do so as Tesla CEO.

No dilettantes for Apple CEO. Tim might not be the flashiest CEO on the planet, but then again, he's running one of the world's largest companies by market capitalization. Plus, Steve Jobs picked Tim twice as the best person who could step in his shoes.

I am not impressed by Tesla's -$6.32 diluted EPS. Tesla has more debt than cash and the short ratio is over 7%. Of course, Tesla does not pay out any dividends.

If Elon wants to talk the talk, he needs to walk the walk. So far, he has not done so. It took Steve Jobs two attempts. Steve's enormous fortune before he passed away was largely due to the success and subsequent sale of Pixar to Disney, not to his Apple activities.

I actually like loose cannons like Elon, many of them are good for the industry. But Apple of 2017 isn't the Apple of 1997. I don't see AAPL as a growth stock any more, it is a value stock. That's fine, there are other stocks that have stepped into AAPL's shoes. It's unrealistic to imagine that a stock with AAPL's market cap will move like it did in the past.

(Disclaimer: I own AAPL, DIS and TSLA.)

That's great but not everyone cares about stocks. Tesla is making awesome cars and changing the industry. Apple is pretty vanilla in comparison. Most of the stuff they make is fine but they aren't changing the game like Tesla. Manufacturers have basically caught up with Apple almost at every step. Nobody has caught up to Tesla yet. I like Tim but he also inherited Apple at its peak. Hard to compare the two. Tim is fine for what Apple wants to do, Elon is good for Tesla. You can't just swap the two because they are high profile Ceos.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Not only that, but you can turn on the AC or heat remotely, so by the time you get to the car it is comfortable inside. My favourite feature, though, is the accurate gps locator. You can even track the car location and speed as it drives around. No more wandering around a mall parking lot trying to remember where I parked the car.

My BMW has had this since begining of 2016 through connected drive.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Cluttered design, and bad UI choices. For instance, why would they make the user tap arrows to move the temperature one degree at a time, instead of just taking advantage of the touchscreen and providing a slider control? Lazy effort.

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
My BMW has had this since begining of 2016 through connected drive.

Connected Drive isn't on the same level as Teslas functionality through the app... yet. Very slow to commands (which makes me not want to use the app) and doesn't have the same amount of functions. Example: I can't set the temperature to what I want. The car picks the temp based on outside weather. My wife has a BMW i3 and I have a model s.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
That's great but not everyone cares about stocks. Tesla is making awesome cars and changing the industry. Apple is pretty vanilla in comparison. Most of the stuff they make is fine but they aren't changing the game like Tesla. Manufacturers have basically caught up with Apple almost at every step. Nobody has caught up to Tesla yet. I like Tim but he also inherited Apple at its peak. Hard to compare the two. Tim is fine for what Apple wants to do, Elon is good for Tesla. You can't just swap the two because they are high profile Ceos.
I admire Tesla and Elon Musk, I just don't think he's a credible candidate as CEO for Apple.

Both companies are at a different point in their evolution, something a few people here seem not to grasp.

As for caring about stocks, I realize not everyone cares about that, especially in the MacRumors Q&A forum. But the same could be said about any topic here or elsewhere, not everyone is going to care about everything.

That said, as a publicly traded corporation, the primary responsibility of Apple is to increase shareholder value. Apple is not a charity nor is it your mother cooking you your favorite breakfast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.