Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The highly anticipated Tesla Model 3 electric car was unveiled by Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Thursday night in a converted hangar in Los Angeles, California.

The company's first mass-market electric car was driven onto a foggy stage in an extravagant unveiling, where Musk revealed that the Tesla Model 3 will seat five, and be able to cover at least 215 miles on one charge.

photo1-800x531.jpg
Tesla CEO Elon Musk unveils the Model 3 in Los Angeles (Image: TechCrunch)

Musk said the standard Model 3 would be capable of zero to 60 miles per hour in less than 6 seconds, and will cost $35,000, which is half that of the company's current flagship cars, the Model S sedan and Model X crossover.

Despite photo restrictions at the unveiling, TechCrunch was able to get some good shots of a red Model 3, which looks like a more sporty version of the company's Model S.

photo2-800x531.jpg

The Model 3 will also feature Autopilot for assisted driving and be future-proof for self-driving road use. Shipping begins late 2017, by which time Tesla says it will have doubled the number of charging stations worldwide and will include charging for free.

photo4-800x531.jpg

The Model 3 is Tesla's attempt to bring electric cars to the mass market and is considered critical to the company's future success.

Interest has been strong, with yesterday's reservations for the Model 3 at Tesla stores and galleries – some of which are located directly adjacent to Apple retail stores – arguably eclipsing the launch of the iPhone SE. Musk later boasted on stage that the company had already secured 115,000 reservations before the car had even been revealed.

photo6-800x531.jpg

The full selection of photos of the red Model 3 is available on the TechCrunch site. The video below, posted by iVenyaWay, shows off Tesla's new car in silver. A matte black option briefly features towards the end.

Apple is widely believed to be working on its own electric road vehicle, commonly referred to as the Apple Car, which Musk has called an "open secret" in the industry. According to Musk, the hundreds of engineers Apple has taken on make it clear there's an electric car in the works.

Apple and Tesla have hired each other's employees over the last couple of years, with Musk saying that Apple has hired away "very few people" from the car company despite offering $250,000 signing bonuses and 60 percent salary increases to its employees. Tesla meanwhile has hired nearly 150 Apple employees.

You can watch the full unveiling of the Tesla Model 3.

Article Link: Tesla Unveils $35,000 Model 3 Electric Car, Shipping Late 2017

Last edited:

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Not sold on the complete removal of digital instrument panels directly in front of the driver. Seems like it would be annoying glancing over at the giant bright screen for basic speed indication. An optional headsup windshield display would be a much nicer solution imo, even if offered as an optional redundancy in functionality.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
I've no idea how so many people sign up to a new car without reading the road tests and reviews first! Lunacy!

However having said all that I will most likely replace my diesel with one of these. I drive 600 miles a week so for me it would be a complete game changer.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
and be able to cover at least 215 miles

Lets wait and see how much that turns out to be in real useage, and how much charge it will hold after being driven for a few years.

Cos sofar that is the real stoppage for full electric cars, they loose allmostr all their value relativly quick to failing batteries and insane prices for replacements.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
They should make a front grill and blow air to front trunk? There is no big engine in front u know.

That wouldn't work. The front "trunk / boot" is for storage, but I agree it looks like something is missing from the front.

However from an aerodynamics point of view, it all makes sense.

Reactions: coltconnn

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
That wouldn't work. The front "trunk / boot" is for storage, but I agree it looks like something is missing from the front.

However from an aerodynamics point of view, it all makes sense.

I agree, but they need something there. Like fake grill on the current Tesla. It's a flat surface that every rock on the road will hammer. Reminds me of a Nascar, maybe we can get fake stickers for the front.

Reactions: rbrian and mkeeley

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Okay this was highly unexpected! :eek:
image.jpeg

I was personally planning to get a Merc by 2018, and that was gonna cost me 'bout 100k.
Gods am tempted by Tesla now, but am pretty sure there isn't a lot of infrastructure in place over here.
Even though I live in the richest part of the entire country, I fear it'll be limited to the cities, not that I venture out much by a car anyway, and if the current government indeed does grant tax incentives then am sold.

Seriously, Apple where you at with your Apple Car?

Ah the future is delightful! :D

Reactions: aarond12

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Yeah it eclisped the SE launch! And it's way thicker!

...and at, what 200 miles at 50mph - that's 4 hours - it has even worse battery life than an iPhone :)

Looks beautiful. but the no grill thing is a bit much. They should have put one on.

...or at least not designed the body with space for a grill, unless its one of those counter-intuitive aerodynamic things.

Bladers

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2012
Lets wait and see how much that turns out to be in real useage, and how much charge it will hold after being driven for a few years.

Cos sofar that is the real stoppage for full electric cars, they loose allmostr all their value relativly quick to failing batteries and insane prices for replacements.

you are several years late. battery tech has since advanced. also tesla has a 8 year warranty on their battery.

Ce7bb1jWAAINgoZ.jpg:large

3588d35c364931cb81ab65c730dbe8ec314e9824.png

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
If you've ever driven one of the older Mini Cooper models you know what a pain in the ass it is to not have basic information such as speed and range right in front of you. Constantly having to look to the side for the very basics is a bad idea.

Tesla, you have a 1.5 years to do it.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
I'd buy one in a second if they made trucks. I am a small truck man. Right now ford ranger, but eyeballing the Colorado. I don't need more then 100 miles before a charge with my particular functions for the truck. Would be sweet!

Seems totally reasonable. Wasn't one of the ideas behind the Tesla design was to present an accommodation for switching bodies? Like when you take apart an old-school Hotwheel and snap a different body onto the drive train/platform. That's the garage of the future. Or leasing a particular type of sedan body and then swapping it for a sport design.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
If you've ever driven one of the older Mini Cooper models you know what a pain in the ass it is to not have basic information such as speed and range right in front of you. Constantly having to look to the side for the very basics is a bad idea.

Tesla, you have a 1.5 years to do it.

And really, it's time for heads-up display, at least for speed and direction and "fuel" anyway. Green during the day, red at night.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Looks beautiful. but the no grill thing is a bit much. They should have put one on. I can only imagine what that will look like after a year on the road.

It will be an option!

grill ---> $15.000
proper internals ---> $20.000

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
you are several years late. battery tech has since advanced. also tesla has a 8 year warranty on their battery.

a) a car should last much longer than 8 years, or it will start loosing value rather drasticly after just a few years

b) that warranty covers the much more expensive current models which may allready have those costs factored in, lets wait and see how conditions are for the 3

c) at which point does Tesla consider a battery defect under warranty ?

My point of entry on this is that the lease for an BMW i3 is about as twice as for a (specced up) Mini with the same sticker price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.