test an app on a Jailbroken iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Tex-Twil, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Tex-Twil, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    is there a way to compile and install (on a Jailbroken iPhone) an app without the Apple's Developer certificate ? The iPhone simulator is fine but I need the accelerometer.

I googled for that but the tutorials I found seem to be outdated and not working for iOS 4.x

I'm willing to pay $99 for the developer license but since it lasts only 1 year I'd like to do it only when my app is in an advanced state.

Edit: I found this guide which seems to be recent. I try it and report back.
    cheers,
    tex

2. gnychis macrumors 6502

do report back, i think you just need to generate the IPA file and you could use Installous to get it on

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

well that's the problem. XCode doesn't compile when the target is not "simulator".

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I hope I don't come out like a a$$ but I am trying to guide you without breaking the rules, there are several ways to do it (I personally know 2), but discussing them here is against the forums rules, Google (or others forums) would be your best bet.

note: actually I think you OP question it is already against the rule, I would just edited

5. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok, the method in my link seems to be working.

If I then simply click 'build and run" in XCode, the app is uploaded to my iPhone and runs :)

Howwever, if I choose "Build and archive" to generate an .ipa, XCode simply crashes :(

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I thought all you wanted was to run it on the iphone to use the accelerometer, why do you want the .ipa? (don't get me rong, everyone is free to want to do whatever they want, I'm just asking to get a real/better understanding of what is your goal so maybe i can point you to a alternative solution)

7. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

yeah yeah you are right. Now I'm totally satisfied and can test my app.

gnychis mentioned the ipa before so I just wanted to try and since it doesn't work I wanted to fix it ... I'm the kind of person who doesn't like when something doesn't work :)

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Well technically, you already know the way to make it "work" it will cost you $99 ;)

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

personally you would be one of the few devs I hope not to see crying about getting a app pirated. oh well you got your answer.

10. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I'm not sure to understand what you want to say.