Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramasjang

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Hi

Apple released this new HDMI adaptor with the launch of the iPad2.
- So right now it's only avalabel in the US.

I would like to hook it up as: iPhone4 --> universal dock --> HDTV
- But I need someone who has both to test if that i possible.

One note the new 2010 universal adaptor is different from the old (2007).

So please tell me wich one you use, think it will work on the old one as it passes all 30 pins.

Please help me out.

Thank you

Last edited:

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have the iPad 2, and iPhone 4 and the new HDMI adapter, so I can connect my iP4 direct to my HDTV tonight and test it, but I don't have a Universal Dock (too expensive in my opinion and I don't really need it), so I can tell you how it works with the iP4, but if the dock is you question/issue, sorry I can't be of help.

mytran80

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
I have everything except for the universal dock which is not worth it at all , all works great though

nestor87

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Doesn't work

I have all the equipment you mentioned (2007 dock - white remote) and it does not work.

iphone 4 -> digital AV adapter -> TV = works fine.
iphone 4 -> universal dock -> digital AV adapter -> TV = nothing.

Disappointing. Not sure if the 2010 dock would work but I kind of doubt it.

Ramasjang

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Nestor87 that sucks sorry to hear that, thanks for checking in.

Hm anyone with the new 2010 universal dock?

Guess I will have to keep my Apple Component AV Cable.

Have a great day guys

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Sorry to say that the 2010 Universal Dock doesn't pass audio or video to the AV Adapter. I even tried DisplayOut, which mirrors the iPhone's display, and that failed.
Funny that you know the difference between the 2007 & 2010 docks. When I first got the iPhone 4 I had the 2007 dock and it would say Accessory Not Supported. I took the dock to the Apple Store and got about 10 minutes worth of excuses culminating in "the Universal Dock it designed to work with the new iPhone." that's when I pointed out that they still sell the dock and the iPhone 4 inserts. I left with a new 2010 dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.