Test Data Recovery (90 Gb)

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
1,138
0
BXL
Tonight i get to test out data recovery on the mac :(

Yesterday evening i took a 90 Gb folder, put it in the trash, emptied the trash (including stairing at the progress bar untill it had finished) and realised i shouldn't have...

When i come home from work i'll reconnect the HD from which i deleted the 90 Gb and let "Data Resque" try and find everything back.

Wish me luck or give me hints.
Or laugh at my stupidity.
 

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
587
5
England
redeye be said:
Tonight i get to test out data recovery on the mac :(

Yesterday evening i took a 90 Gb folder, put it in the trash, emptied the trash (including stairing at the progress bar untill it had finished) and realised i shouldn't have...

When i come home from work i'll reconnect the HD from which i deleted the 90 Gb and let "Data Resque" try and find everything back.

Wish me luck or give me hints.
Or laugh at my stupidity.



You are remarkably calm for someone who may have lost 90Gb of data! Maybe you are just very confident that your backup will work OK.

Good luck!
 

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
651
0
Good Luck! :)

I hope it all goes well, and if it doesnt, I hope the files werent too important. :eek:
Should be allright though.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,910
41
Andover, MA
One hint:

Stay off your Mac!!!! Don't do anything to cause it to overwrite file space until you can use a disk recovery tool.
 

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
654
1
UK
jsw said:
One hint:

Stay off your Mac!!!! Don't do anything to cause it to overwrite file space until you can use a disk recovery tool.

He did say that he'd "reconnect the HD", indicating that it was not plugged in and there was no chance of the data being overwritten :)
 

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
1,138
0
BXL
thomasp said:
He did say that he'd "reconnect the HD", indicating that it was not plugged in and there was no chance of the data being overwritten :)
correct
thank god
I pulled it out as soon as i realised what i had done. That is one second after the trash was completely emptied.

thx for the tip though jsw ;)

Data Recovery is at it right now, postprocessing.

crossing my fingers

Thank you for your compassion.

:) i hope
 

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
1,138
0
BXL
No dice...

I could have been able to salvage about 70% of the 15000 files which made up the 90 Gb, filenames and folderstructure were lost forever.

And now to explain my calm.
I think i can rebuild the 90 Gb from various bits of backups all over my magnetic platters (at least much more than 70%)

short:
Data recovery will work fine for recovering the odd paper or so.
Not for recovering 90 Gb's of music.
 

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
651
0
redeye be said:
No dice...

I could have been able to salvage about 70% of the 15000 files which made up the 90 Gb, filenames and folderstructure were lost forever.

And now to explain my calm.
I think i can rebuild the 90 Gb from various bits of backups all over my magnetic platters (at least much more than 70%)

short:
Data recovery will work fine for recovering the odd paper or so.
Not for recovering 90 Gb's of music.
Ouch. Sorry to hear it didnt go as smoothly as you hoped. :(