Test of the malleability of the 6+ EXPERIMENT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by accentaudio, Sep 27, 2014.

1. accentaudio macrumors 6502

accentaudio

I am really torn on this issue. I challenge all the readers of this post to do one thing (as I have done as an experiment).

1. Find a very flat table
    2. Make sure your 6+ is in a flat backed case (yet flexible) that enables it to sit flush on the flat table even with the protruding camera. In other words - the case comes out passed the camera and thus lets the phone sit flush.
    3. Touch the corners of your 6+ making sure it is completely flat and not rocking back and forth at all on your flat surface... If it is, your phone is already ever so slightly tweaked as mine was.
    4. If it is sitting flush, then gentle pick up your phone and just barely, and I mean barely give your phone I twist by applying very gentle pressure on opposite corners.
    5. Now sit the phone back down on your very flat surface and press on each corner until you notice slight rocking.
    6. You will will soon discover how very easily this aluminum case is tweaked out of shape. This phone is super malleable.

Now after you have completed this very simple test, feel free to twist your phone back into a completely flat form. This scares me... Once I day I sit my phone down on my flat surface and notice it is yet again slight torqued out of shape (this is after a day of just regular use and not evening having it in a pocket). I am super careful and gentle with my 6+, and yet low and behold and the end of every day it is slight tweaked and not completely flat.

Disclaimer: Your phone must be in a completely flat backed case (as mine is) that lifts it slightly off the table as to compensate for the protruding camera. I am using a Spigen air cushion technology clear case. Also, before anyone says it is my case, it is not. I did this exact test with 2 brand new 6+'s and 2 brand new Spigen cases to eliminate variables. I even switched the same case to one 6+ that I knew was perfectly flat and it did not rock back and forth, then I took the very same case and put it on another 6+ that I knew was slightly tweaked and it did rock back and forth. Then I straightened the phone out by twisting it back into shape - rocking gone... #RockingGate lol?

2. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

3. accentaudio, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

accentaudio thread starter macrumors 6502

accentaudio

Why? Denial is more cozy...? Look, I am a HUGE Apple lover. Have been using Apple products for 20 years. I am the first to defend them, last to attack, but don't tell me to "stop" when I am merely expressing my concerns with the first hand experience I have had. I so badly want to love the 6 and 6+, but am beginning to think Apple just barely missed the mark on this one. I think it could of and should of been built a little more sturdy. That is all.

4. booksbooks macrumors 6502

Just look at his signature. It doesn't get anymore fanboy than that.

5. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

No, not at all.

1. This has been beaten to death.
    2. All things that exist are susceptible to damage with the right amount of force.
    3. If you don't like how easy it is to damage any particular item you have two choices:
    a) Pick a different item
    b) Be more careful with it

6. scrtagntman macrumors regular

7. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Really?

I'm not unconditionally apologetic towards Apple by any stretch of the phrase. I just think what OP is wanting people to do is taking things too damn far given what we've already been seeing. It's unnecessary.

8. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

No matter how many times you want to spin it , it's an overblown issue.

9. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Have you ever seen a roller coaster in action? It's designed to flex TO A CERTAIN EXTENT to prevent it from snapping. Bend too far and it will stay bent.

This is just how it is. Could Apple investigate further and make these phones stronger? You betcha.

There are tradeoffs in any scenario though.

10. accentaudio thread starter macrumors 6502

accentaudio

11. scrtagntman macrumors regular

It may just be me, but I'd be more inclined to compare it to other phones. Seems more... useful.

12. accentaudio thread starter macrumors 6502

accentaudio

I can agree with that, any volunteers with other phones? I tried a 5S, no bendy bendy... Not to the extent of rocking back and forth on a flat surface that is.

13. accentaudio thread starter macrumors 6502

accentaudio

Oh I get it.... No one of this forum wants to admit they have any other phone ;) lol

14. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

The entire problem with this test is the addition of another variable. I understand that it is necessary to have a case due to the camera bulge, but adding a case to the equation makes the test that much more unreliable, no matter how flat you think the case is.

15. accentaudio thread starter macrumors 6502

accentaudio

True, but if the case itself is tested first on a flat surface to ensure that it is indeed flat I think that makes errors less likely. In my case I am certain that it is my phones that contort with a twist and not the case.

16. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Understandable. What happens when you do the same thing with the glass facing down?

I just think your test is a bit much given the circumstances- if the iPhone 6 Plus is really that malleable, we'll be seeing mass exchanges in about a month or so.

17. accentaudio thread starter macrumors 6502

accentaudio

Same results with the glass facing down. The phone itself contorts when twisted. If you have one you should try it. I assure you it requires very little pressure and can be twisted back to "flat". It is very frustrating to me that these phones do this.

18. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I mentioned the glass facing down because that's a test that eliminates all external variables aside from the flat surface to rest on. Which brings me to another point- did you try this on other tables? I have a regular 6, and I laid the front side down on a flat table, and it rocked pretty severely. Put it on another table and it was completely solid. I'm absolutely not discounting that your phones are slightly twisted, I just think it's worth covering all your bases.

19. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I have a 5. ;) I did my own "bend test" with it back when reports of the 5 bending started showing up. I think it is pretty solid, but I still kept it out of my pocket as often as I could.

I think issues, such as device durability, need attention in order for companies to improve their designs in the future/present, even if this "issue" has been blown out of proportion. I don't think the new iPhone is going to bend just by looking at it, and maybe not so likely in every day use; it is more for peace of mind that a phone can stand up to more abuse.

I'd like to see Apple return to building a phone with a stainless steal chassis, regardless of the weight added. Or, better yet, Titanium or some rugged material (not plastic) that can stand more extreme conditions. I've dropped the iPhone 4, WITHOUT A CASE, when I had one, on concrete and asphalt (just getting out of the car) and hardwood floor (neck high from an entertainment center), and took every one of those falls like a champ! That's the phone that I want. Send from my Mac mini.

20. bronzini macrumors member

Agreed

21. accentaudio thread starter macrumors 6502

accentaudio

Absolutely I tried different tables, assuring I found one that was completely flat. Great that you pointed that out, and indeed they still rock. I agree that anyone that tries this must eliminate all variables to ensure it's the phone and not the table or the case.

22. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

23. accentaudio thread starter macrumors 6502

accentaudio

Disagreed.

----------

Yep!

24. scottw324 macrumors 6502

My 6+ has been in my front pocket, back pocket, cargo pockets. It is in a Spigen Thin Fit Smooth Black case. No bending. Flat as flat can be.

So whatcha gotta say about that?