Test of Verizon vs. AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SychoBC, Feb 8, 2011.

1. SychoBC macrumors member

I did a test of both phones around different parts of Omaha, Nebraska and I attached a PDF with my results.

While Verizon numbers were lower almost every time it was able to stream audio a 56kbps stream on both, AT&T did drop out occasionally while Verizon's streams didn't. Both struggled to keep the TWIT video stream up but the AT&T phone was able to load the stream faster and buffered less than Verizon phone.

Webpages started to load faster on the Verizon iPhone but finished faster on the AT&T iPhone almost every time. At certain points the AT&T phone finished loading pages almost 5-10 seconds before the Verizon phone.

I still think I am going to switch from AT&T to Verizon permanently. Their overall 3G coverage is better, plus they allow for both Unlimited data and the ability to use the hotspot. Which I will never be able to do with AT&T.

Attached Files:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do we really need a new thread? Why not contribute to the other 100 threads on this subject?

3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

So although AT&T provides better 3G in your area you are still going to leave AT&T?

4. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

actually on the 13th or 14th.. You will be able to the hotspot with the iphone...

But great findings.. You went thru alot with the PDF.. Should add another column with the difference between download speeds.. for that time

5. SychoBC thread starter macrumors member

Hotspot will be available on the 13th and 14 but not with unlimited data. I'd have to drop to the 2gb cap.

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Great findings however I am confused why he would leave AT&T? Because AT&T audio streaming dropped out occasionally?

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. SychoBC thread starter macrumors member

Because of better overall 3G coverage and the ability have unlimited data and mobile hotspot. I thought it was pretty clear in my original post.

9. honeytoast macrumors regular

AT&T is raising the cap on tethering plans to 4GB.

http://goo.gl/87aZB

10. SychoBC thread starter macrumors member

Yes, but their regular data cap is still 2gb.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I guess it depends on whether 'better' means 'faster' or 'available in more places'. I'd take the latter.

12. dagored macrumors 65816

I know that there is going to be a good number of these threads, but none have mentioned rollover minutes. On a plan with the wife, and this has come in handy.

I came from Verizon to AT&T. My service is great, however if I continued to drop calls and not have service, I would change.

Plus, all I remember from Verizon is their poor attitude and bad CS, for me. They also seemed to nickel and dime you for everything, but again, if my service on AT&T or anyone else was bad, I would change. That's just common sense.

13. phaggard macrumors regular

If you have already read the same thread a 100 times, why did you read this one and take the time to comment. Just move on and let everyone else read it 101 times.

14. taskmanager macrumors regular

Why doesn't at&t just throttle once you hit a certain point rather than cap?

15. err404, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

err404 macrumors 68020

Yes, but the comment was about tethering.

BTW - AT&T doesn't cap your data, your just billed for overage (at a lower rate then the inital 2GB). You'd best stay below 2GB of data usage on VZ's unlimited plan unless you want that 2 month bandwidth cut.

16. err404 macrumors 68020

I'd rather not have my speed cut. 10$ per GB over your sounds better to me.

17. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

If you are accumulating massive rollover minutes then wouldn't that lead one to believe they were simply paying for a plan that they were not using to the fullest. When I was an AT&T customers, I had like 10,000 rollover minutes. For the couple months that I actually barely used any of those rollover minutes, I came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to just have a rare overage than to continue paying for the plan I had.

In short- no cellular provider gives you anything for free.

18. dagored macrumors 65816

But I am not. Again, for me it is good.