Test results, Tempo SATA vs IDE/Sata bridge

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, Oct 4, 2015.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Just purchased a Sonnet Tempo SATA card, here are the xBench results of the SATA card vs the existing IDE to SATA converter I was running, same SSD in each case.
    First is my original IDE/SATA bridge card, and second is the Tempo SATA card.
    As you can see the results at least with an SSD do not justify the difference in cost, $3.95 for the bridge card and $80 for the Sonnet card.
    I would expect better results from a conventional HDD.
    I have to admit though, the SATA card allows for a much easier and cleaner installation and very likely better cooling airflow.

MDD bridge card.JPG MDD-SATA.JPG

2. for this macrumors regular

For me, the real benefit of a SATA card is not that it's faster than the existing ATA-100 bus.
    But to be able to install two 3.5" SATA drives in the front cage and get SATA bus speed
    instead of the ATA-66 bus there.

I also think you can't use the bridges there, otherwise you won't be able to close the door fully.

3. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

This has never been a problem for me, I gave up on 3.5" drives long ago over the smaller 2.5" drives and then moved on to SSD's.

4. for this macrumors regular

That's why I specifically put the word 3.5" there. :)

5. powermi macrumors regular

The long term use will give you the real reliability test... It worth every penny.

6. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

Is there a limit on sata drives with that card? With 2.5" drives you could fit a dozen in there.

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The Sonnet Tempo I have only has 2 SATA ports.