Test Utilities

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tony3d, Jul 8, 2015.

1. tony3d macrumors 6502

Hi all, I have Disk Warrior 5. this along with Apple Hardware test, is there really any need to buy Techtool Pro 8?

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

IMO, No, unless your main workflow is to run those tests.

3. stonerdt macrumors newbie

stonerdt

I have both Disk Warrior and TTP8. They do somewhat different things. TTP8 has a wider range of tests - memory, bad blocks, etc. Plus it has a way to undelete items that have been thrown away in the trash can. DW is a super tool and that really helps keep the Mac running well with its directory rebuilds. So a more comprehensive solution is to get both. If I had to only have one, I would have DW.

4. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

I use to use DW (2.2-4) as regular maintenance, and bought but didn't find much value in TTPro even though I started with MacEKG.

Carbon Copy Cloner first and foremost, and use the feature to do checksums on all files copied. Not sure there is any good "test" really. Definitely AHT is so limited in its scope beyond motherboard. Zero a drive maybe (non-SSD) but really a couple good backup boot drives. Even spare parts (GPU, RAM). A cheap 2nd computer for backup even or for testing something new. But $200 for 'test utilities' - not.

5. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I have all of them, rarely use any. When I do, I usually use TechTool Pro.

6. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Would you mind sharing your regular maintenance schedule and what do you maintenance?

Yes CCC is my absolute favourite backup-tool too!

TIA & Cheers