Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frazwr01

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
I just posted this another thread -- basically if you synced from a backup that was created from a jailbroken 3g or 3gs, that might be your problem. I had very similar issues, until I tried restoring in DFU mode -- read my response below that was posted in reply to another youtube video:

Looks like you synced from a backup that originated from a jailbroken iphone -- I know this because that's the only way the battery % will show up in iOS4 until it's jailbroken for the iPhone 4... Anyway, my phone pretty much stopped being able to use cellular data last night after syncing from my macbook (which had previously backed up a jailbroken 3g). After the sync, I got some error messages -- but largely ignored them bc everything seemed to work fine. Shortly thereafter, I couldn't get more than ~10kbps over the AT&T network (normally I get ~2500kbps). Soft reseting the phone didn't help. It didn't matter if I was touching the lower left corner of the phone either. Basically, I could only send/receive data via wifi at that point.

Finally, I decided to restore iOS4 in DFU mode. Now everything is (sort of) OK. My signal strength still goes down if I short out the two antennas by holding the lower left of the phone in my left hand, but if I put a silicone case on the phone or if I simply do not touch the lower left corner, all is well...

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
I just posted this another thread -- basically if you synced from a backup that was created from a jailbroken 3g or 3gs, that might be your problem. I had very similar issues, until I tried restoring in DFU mode -- read my response below that was posted in reply to another youtube video:

Looks like you synced from a backup that originated from a jailbroken iphone -- I know this because that's the only way the battery % will show up in iOS4 until it's jailbroken for the iPhone 4... Anyway, my phone pretty much stopped being able to use cellular data last night after syncing from my macbook (which had previously backed up a jailbroken 3g). After the sync, I got some error messages -- but largely ignored them bc everything seemed to work fine. Shortly thereafter, I couldn't get more than ~10kbps over the AT&T network (normally I get ~2500kbps). Soft reseting the phone didn't help. It didn't matter if I was touching the lower left corner of the phone either. Basically, I could only send/receive data via wifi at that point.

Finally, I decided to restore iOS4 in DFU mode. Now everything is (sort of) OK. My signal strength still goes down if I short out the two antennas by holding the lower left of the phone in my left hand, but if I put a silicone case on the phone or if I simply do not touch the lower left corner, all is well...

too bad i set it as a new iPhone

stu212

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009

That response is of someone who doesn't have a clue about the software. You can view percentage without jailbreaking on the 3GS and the iPhone 4.

frazwr01

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
That response is of someone who doesn't have a clue about the software. You can view percentage without jailbreaking on the 3GS and the iPhone 4.

Yeah, sure, obviously missing one aspect of iOS4 means I have "no clue." I bow down to your god-like knowledge of apple products! I can only hope that we become Facebook friends someday!!!

Regardless, resetting my iPhone 4 in DFU mode, after about 15 minutes of anxious waiting, solved the issue of the phone not working well with a case will touching the lower left corner. I still have issues when I hold that corner without a case...

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, sure, obviously missing one aspect of iOS4 means I have "no clue." I bow down to your god-like knowledge of apple products! I can only hope that we become Facebook friends someday!!!

Regardless, resetting my iPhone 4 in DFU mode, after about 15 minutes of anxious waiting, solved the issue of the phone not working well with a case will touching the lower left corner. I still have issues when I hold that corner without a case...

I tried and still the same :(

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

wasn't even an aspect of ios4, has been around since last year when the 3gs came out.

Reser

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I have tried Sellotape (scotch tape) over the notch on left, tried it on both notches, tried duct tape same way, I then even tried wrapping the bottom in paper...

EVERY SINGLE TIME the same thing happens, signal drops then no service within 30 seconds... Why does it still happen when it is covered?? People keep saying it is the notch so i don't get it.

Also why do people keep saying it is a left handed persons issue? I hold it in my left hand as I control it with my RIGHT hand as a right handed person would, left handed people would control the phone with left hand and hold it in right.

TheBama

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Birmingham, AL
too dark to see bars, but following your commentary. Need to try it somewhere with more of a signal. Starting with 1 bar doesn't help.

ldkaplan

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
N. Georgia
I have tried Sellotape (scotch tape) over the notch on left, tried it on both notches, tried duct tape same way, I then even tried wrapping the bottom in paper...

EVERY SINGLE TIME the same thing happens, signal drops then no service within 30 seconds... Why does it still happen when it is covered?? People keep saying it is the notch so i don't get it.

Also why do people keep saying it is a left handed persons issue? I hold it in my left hand as I control it with my RIGHT hand as a right handed person would, left handed people would control the phone with left hand and hold it in right.

It has nothing to do with the notch. If you bridge the 'circuit' of the bottom antena with either the left or right antennas, you change the length. Similar to when you hold the antenna on a radio.

The notch is just where the antenna's start/end.

I see no reason why it would be left corner vs. right corner.

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
too dark to see bars, but following your commentary. Need to try it somewhere with more of a signal. Starting with 1 bar doesn't help.

Yea, i only had 1 bar around my whole house when i usually have 2-3 bars on my 3GS

So i will try somewhere else if i get the chance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.