Testimonial Writing

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACoconut, Apr 10, 2009.

1. MACoconut macrumors regular

Hi.

I need to write a testimonial for my friend to add it into his portfolio.

Any tips for this?

Any websites/links where I can follow as a format?

Thanks. :)

2. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

I believe you should be writing in the capacity of a superior / supervisor:

- the article should be printed on paper that is representative of your organization : official letterhead, possibly the "special" kind of paper that has the organization's "logos" or watermarks when held up to the light

- this is a Testimonial, not a letter addressed to "a particular recipient", hence avoid usage of terminology or lexicons to make it sound personal ie. "I will strongly recommend him to you..."

- State your capacity wrt to authority / supervisory role to write the Testimonial. Likewise state how the individual has operated or functioned in a role that you were able to observe and how long you have known him. A 3 year professional relationship bears much more weight than a 4 month professional relationship.

- Usage of positive action words to highlight his strengths and fortes ie. "A thoroughly self motivated and dynamic individual..." VS "He does not need encouragement and proative supervision...."

- Where possible, avoid the usage of vague terminology and substantiate with hard facts. Facts never lie and are more impactful than words ie. "He single handedly galvanised the sales department and achieved a 30% increase of sales targets within 4 months...." VS "He managed to exceed the expectations of the sales department by having a large increase in sales targets..."

- Highlight and focus on the unique points that sets him apart. Given that an adult is assumed to be a self respecting professional, traits like self motivated, enthusiastic, professional, dependable are expected. Instead, look out for unique personality / character trademarks that makes him leap off the cliff, like, a brand of humour that is a positive influence in the working environment, proactive individual with the initiative to troubleshoot obstacles, thrives in a challenging environment

- Lastly, this is a Testimonial, not an Oscar speech. Keep it factual, concise and most importantly, genuine. It should not be longer than 3/4 page, given that the rest of the page is taken up by neccessary formatting, with Font 12. Always "justify" the main body of the article for neatness. Seal it in an envelope and give it to him with a good firm handshake and "well done".

Hope this helps!

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Not much I can add to that, but an important reminder: ensure you are being accurate. I've seen letters of reference where the writer flat out made mistakes (e.g., in one case saying that an employee had been a work experience hire where she had not). Little things like that can contradict the applicant's own resume/application, and I doubt that that can be a good thing.

If there's anything you're unsure about, confirm it with your friend before you send off the testimonial.

4. MACoconut thread starter macrumors regular

Emm. I need to clarify some matters.

I'm writing a personal testimonial for college admissions.

What details do I have to include? Any key-phrases?