Testing a processor

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bearcatrp, Mar 10, 2010.

1. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

What is a good program that can test the processor in a 2008 mac pro and tell me exactly what speed it currently at? Preferably free. I think the apple test only tells if it passes the test or not. tnks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. dazey macrumors 6502

I am not quite sure what you are asking. I am wondering if you are thinking that the processor speed ramps up and down with load. I am pretty sure it doesn't in the mac pros (so as previous poster says, about mac is just fine) it may in the portables.
    I also don't understand how this is testing? To soak test the processor google mprime

4. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

Just a test to max out the cores and report the speed. I suppose cinebench or something like that would work. I know intel has a program for windows users but not for mac.

5. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

If you have a 2008 Mac pro then it should have 5400 series Xeons and as far as I know they run at a fixed speed (what ever the clock rate is).

The 2009 Mac pros have 5500 series Xeons and these have turboboost so go up and down in frequency.

If you run Windows at all (eg under bootcamp) then programs like cpu-Z and coretemp give readouts of the clock multiplier and frequency.

Ironically, if you run Cinebench on multi-core then it will probably reduce the frequency under turboboost (with all eight cores going).