Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Hi all,

Got myself a spiffy new airport extreme router.
I have my imac hooked up via ethernet, and my macbook via wifi.

I tried accessing an air disk share and it seems to be fairly reasonable over ethernet on the imac but when i use the macbook it seems soooo slow. :confused:

What sort of transfer speeds should i be getting? I've managed to get about 6 meg a second of the disk via wifi.

I was wondering if perhaps it was somehow connected a wireless b/g client instead of type n and I don't really know how to tell..

Any ideas?

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
It really depends on the range and the if the iMac is using any network bandwidth when using the disk from the router.

the best bet would be to check speeds for your MacBook & iMac is to goto
http://www.speedtest.net

and to check your Wireless card range is to go here:
Applications > Utilities > Network Configuration (i believe thats what its called) the icon that resembles a radar

then under the info tab it should say Wireless modes a/b/g/n
or something to that extent if N is not present, then obviously its only topped off at the last letter's speed.

hope that helps!

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Use Airport Utility to check the connection speed.

Click on: Base Station --> Logs and Statistics --> Wireless Clients

Check the column marked "Tx Rate". I usually see something between 130-270 for N mode clients (5Ghz, wide channel). On a seprate G-only Extreme, I normally see the clients maxing out at 56.

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Thanks for the help guys.

I'm getting a transmit rate of 130. So I'm guessing that I am receiving type N.

Just to give more detail, when I'm trying to access the air disk I've got no other network traffic going on and I'm actually in the same room as the router so distance is not the issue.

I'm guessing everything is fine and that I'm just disappointed in the speed that type N offers over what ethernet offers. I'm surprised that Apple has made the time capsule if transfer speeds are this pony.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.