Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenixx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
Hi, I'm thinking about purchasing my friend's "dead' iPod 5g from him, and repairing it myself. His reason it died being that it "mysteriously stopped" and is no longer covered by warranty so he doesn't want it.

Here is the thing, he was telling me a couple of weeks ago how his phone got washed in the washer, and I have a feeling the same thing has happened to his iPod and it has water damage. If I get his iPod, and open it, will there be any signs that I can look for that indicate water damage/foul play?...p'rhaps a (pH [?]) sticker like they put in some phones?

Thanks for any help.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
To be honest, I don't know, but I thought I'd give you some advice (even though you didn't ask for it and probably don't want to hear it).

It is always a bad idea to do any business with friends. ...Especially in situations like this where you already anticipate problems and/or possible foul play.

Besides, if the iPod "dead dead," I don't suspect there will be much you can do to repair it that would be significantly cheaper than buying a new iPod.

fenixx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
EricNau said:
It is always a bad idea to do any business with friends. ...Especially in situations like this where you already anticipate problems and/or possible foul play.

I know, and completely agree.

I was using the term friend very loosely though, (this guy is certainly not in my inner circle of friends, or is a person I even see on a weekly basis).

The reason I ask though, is because this guy does not want that much for the iPod, I really don't need another iPod [already have 2], but I wanted something to entertain myself with trying to fix in my downtime.

motti

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2004
fenixx said:

If it really was in the washer, stains from the savon should have remained on the harddrive and/or on the circuit board and could even be found between the screen and the screen cover. I would check for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.