Testing app on iPhone without Developer account

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Ryan Burgess, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Ryan Burgess macrumors 6502

I have created a few quite simple apps that I would like to test on my jailbroken iPhone 5, but I don't have an Apple Developer Account. Is there anyway to test on my phone without paying the $99? The reason for this is because I am just getting started in iOS development and don't want to waste the $99 if I end up not developing apps.

I don't want to submit to the app store or anything, I just want to be able to run the apps on my phone. (maybe a kind soul who has a developer account would add me? just a thought...) If it helps I am on iOS 6.1.2, Jailbroken.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

For non-jailbroken phones the answer is no. It is possible to install and run apps on a jailbroken phone without a paid developer account - however I don't know anything about how to go about that.

BTW, Apple has a free developer account that gives you access to developer tools including Xcode and the simulator. The free account does not let you install software on your device hoever.

3. xArtx macrumors 6502a

You can't just get some stranger to provision your iPhone.
    You still can't compile for it without their identity
    and certificate.
    Noone in their right mind will give you access to
    their account.

4. JeroenJK macrumors newbie

There are a few options:

The best for you is to just use the simulator I guess, but if you actually want to use your App on your iPhone instead of testing it, then the simulator is no option.

I thought that there are some ways to do it on a jailbroken iPhone, but I don't know anything about that. (And I don't want/need to know.)

If you are really developing simple Apps to learn Objective-C/Xcode, and you are planning on making a real App to submit in the AppStore, I would buy a developer account. If you do that you can also submit the "little" Apps to the AppStore (with no extra fee) (if Apple allows it).

5. truehybridx, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013

truehybridx macrumors member

If you want to play it cheap, download Xcode, jailbreak your phone.

Then install iOSOpenDev (easiest way to modify Xcode to allow device testing without certificates)

Or follow this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNNOMBl2mWw (which is manual and error prone)

As for submission, dont even worry about that until you have an app close to ready to public use :)
    And for the start you can use the free repos on Cydia, or fork over the 99 bucks to do it Apple's way

6. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

I am updating this post because I have found a solution to my own problem.

First, thanks to all who responded! And the way I found that works is to download jailcoder from here: http://oneiros.altervista.org/. I tried this before but it never worked, and I realized it was because I had 2 versions of Xcode installed by accident. Once I removed the older version of Xcode, jailcoder worked perfectly and allowed me to build and archive my apps without a dev account.

Hope this helps someone else with the same question!