Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
I just got a Atmos receiver and have been looking for some good files to test it with. I found them and would like to share them with you guys. Don't have to much bandwith with mega so get what you can.

Download (HERE)

Attachments

• atmos.jpg
    atmos.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 204

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
How many speakers do you have with your new receiver? How are you connecting to your Apple TV?

On my reciever I connect the TV optical output to my receiver this way I can get the optical out on TV to the optical in on my receiver! This way if I am watching live TV sports I can get the full sound!

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
Dont see atmos with Apple TV :(

What do you guys recommend we can use to get Atmos out?
[doublepost=1470594397][/doublepost]This is the audio I get

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 11.25.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 11.25.46 AM.png
    109 KB · Views: 163

Lumpy05

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Bloomington, IN

[doublepost=1470594397][/doublepost]This is the audio I get

I have been able to get atmos out from PS3 from Bluray and VUDU. Apple TV is a no go right now don't know if it can be software upgraded to support.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005

No current way to handle the encoded audio object metadata in Dolby Atmos/DTS-X in tvOS.

That's because it's not currently possible to passthrough encoded 24-bit/7.1-channel audio with tvOS in 3rd party apps even though the latest Apple TV supports 24-bit/7.1-channel audio. (16-bit/5.1-channel is possible to passthrough over HDMI.)

You might want to follow the discussions on the Infuse for tvOS forum. Their app supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA at 48Khz 24-bit/7.1-channels by doing the audio processing in their app and then sending uncompressed lossless multi-channel LPCM over HDMI. Basically, the Infuse app on the Apple TV does the TrueHD/HD-MA decoding work instead of the Dolby/DTS receiver. The final audio is identical to the receiver doing the work as they have licensed both Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA for their tvOS and iOS apps. More details here.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio.emt

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
Unfortunately, since the Apple TV doesn't have support for Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio, neither Atmos or DTS X will work. It uses metadata in the streams to activate the extra channels and other nifty stuff. That's why legacy blu-ray players (that support bitstreaming, mind you) work with Atmos and DTS X.

Reactions: ohio.emt

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Unfortunately, since the Apple TV doesn't have support for Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio, neither Atmos or DTS X will work. It uses metadata in the streams to activate the extra channels and other nifty stuff. That's why legacy blu-ray players (that support bitstreaming, mind you) work with Atmos and DTS X.

According to ApplevSupport document Apple TV Specs section:

Audio Formats
HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus 7.1

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
According to ApplevSupport document Apple TV Specs section:

Dolby Digital Plus isn't the same thing as Dolby True HD. Digital Plus is a higher bitrate stream than regular Dolby Digital, but it's still lossy. True HD is a lossless stream, so it holds quite a bit more information than Plus does. The Apple TV doesn't support native Dolby True HD.

Reactions: Fancuku

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
VUDU now supports Dolby Atmos on some of their 4K streams, so there is precident for streaming with a higher audio quality that Dolby Digital.

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
VUDU now supports Dolby Atmos on some of their 4K streams, so there is precident for streaming with a higher audio quality that Dolby Digital.

Yes, there definitely is, and it's made me consider getting a Roku 4. But all of these things are in their infancy right now, just like 1080p was (and still is for broadcast), so it will change as time goes on. As ISPs get better and bandwidth increases, I'm sure we'll see more providers using lossless codecs for streaming.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Yes, there definitely is, and it's made me consider getting a Roku 4. But all of these things are in their infancy right now, just like 1080p was (and still is for broadcast), so it will change as time goes on. As ISPs get better and bandwidth increases, I'm sure we'll see more providers using lossless codecs for streaming.

To correct you over the Air is 1080i NOT 1080p! ;)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
who listens to this stuff. Good selection though

I'd be recommending it to Apple as well. but i seriously doubt True HD will be in Apple's program of anything. when we arn't even there yet with the any of their other products.. Perhaps in a future version.

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
To correct you over the Air is 1080i NOT 1080p! ;)

Exactly, that's why 1080p is still in its infancy for broadcast, as nearly all (or every) channel is still 1080i or 720p. I think we're going to see a jump from that straight to 4k because the new h.265 codec and HDCP 2.2 make it less bandwidth intensive and more secure than anything else we have going on right now. Of course, who knows really, as they've taken their sweet time with it all, and lost quite a few customers in the process.

Also, I found out this weekend that Dolby Digital Plus is object-based, so it supports a form of Atmos. That means, if an app supports it and the Apple TV bitstreams the audio, we could totally have Atmos with our current hardware!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.