Testing G5 Power Mac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by verdee, Jan 23, 2009.

1. verdee macrumors newbie

So I bought what I thought was going to be just a G5 Powermac case for my hackintosh project for next to nothing (i paid $40 with shipping). Today when I opened the box, I come to find out that it actually contained the entire logic board, dual 2.0 CPUs, and the video card. So now I am trying to figure out what to do in terms of parting it out, adding a HD/DVD and selling it, etc. What I need to know is what would I need to simply check to see if the basic electronics are working. My hackintosh is running (I'm using efi-x so it is retail leopard install), so could I just pull the HD and toss it into the Mac, add a stick of ram, and fire it up? What would be the absolute basic things I would need to do.

2. Earl Urly macrumors regular

You won't get much, since the video card is very likely to have firmware that will only allow it to work on a Mac. Also it needs RAM added in pairs..

All you really need to do is add in the RAM, hook up a monitor, and hit the power button.. if you hear the Mac chime and see a blinking folder on the screen it's probably working fine