Testing HTML code?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by martymcfly618, Nov 28, 2010.

1. martymcfly618, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

martymcfly618 macrumors newbie

I'm using text edit on my macbook to create a website. Is there a way for me to test my codes on the macbook w/o purchasing software? Thanks in advance..:apple: sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

2. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

yes once you save your files you can preview them in any browser on your mac.

Usually what i do is after i save my HTML files, then i drag the file to my Firefox icon on my dock, which opens them up in Firefox for preview.

3. martymcfly618 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response...should I save my files as rich text format? Sorry for being such a noob....I'm use to doing everything in windows.....

4. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

5. martymcfly618 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. lucasgladding macrumors 6502

For writing HTML, I would avoid TextEdit. I have licenses to TextMate, Espresso, and Coda, but there are free programs available too. TextWrangler may be a good place to start:

http://bbedit.com/products/textwrangler/

7. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

if i'm not mistaken, dashcode is a free download from apple if you sign up for a free developers account. I really like using that for html and css coding

8. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I've been using Dashcode for the most recent site I was working on. It's great for writing out the code and seeing the changes.
    As a tip, since I didn't want any of the .js files, nor did I want to develop a safari and mobile safari version, I wanted to clean up the file/folder section but was unable to delete several folders. By apple+clicking on the dashcode file and selecting "show package contents" (make sure dashcode is closed) you can delete, rename and re-organize folders that the program will not let you. On top of that, if you locate the HTML file you can open that in any of your webbrowser to preview what you've done.