Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farmerdoug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I will be writing code for an iphone that takes images about a sec apart and looking for changes. I take it this means that I have to upload the code for testing. I guess I could probably take test images; put them in a library; run through them and test parts of the code in the iOS simulator.

Thoughts?

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
I will be writing code for an iphone that takes images about a sec apart and looking for changes. I take it this means that I have to upload the code for testing. I guess I could probably take test images; put them in a library; run through them and test parts of the code in the iOS simulator.

Thoughts?

Software that depends on specific hardware features like the camera, GPS, motion detector, etc, needs to be tested on an actual device. There's no substitute for the real target platform.

You might find a way to simulate some parts of your app's functions to make development faster, but you still need to test early and often on target devices.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
early and often ... like voting
Thanks

You shouldn't be voting more than once in a given poll...

More on topic, I disagree with testing earlier. If you can afford to shred a $100 bill, then go ahead and sign up for the paid dev program and test on device. Most of us prefer not to waste money like that.

I absolutely agree that you should test on device, but I would say try to make it so as much of your app that can work on the emulator as possible does work on it first. I made the mistake of enrolling in the paid program about 18 months before my app was ready to ship, and it didn't rely on hardware features, so I completely wasted that $100.

farmerdoug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
At least it wasn't my $100 bucks. I also hope to have the app ready in under a year. But hope springs eternal.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Yes, as mentioned, certain features are only accessible on the device. For what you are doing I could see reeding from a files as god enough to get started.

By the way, AV Foundation has the ability to recognize image changes. It may be limited to visio though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.