Testing Lion on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by riko, Apr 3, 2012.

1. riko macrumors regular

Hi Guys

I am thinking of upgrading to Lion but I am worried about the performace hit I would get on my Early 2008 2.4 Ghz Macbook. I have 4 gigs of RAM already installed but I was wondering if I could test lion on a spare HDD that I have.

What I would want to do is remove my current HDD and install my spare, install Lion from CD or USB and test out the speed. If I didnt like the performance I would just put my old drive with SL back in.

Would the above cause any issues?

Thanks for any help

2. MR.BUTTON macrumors member

Sure,it will cause a little bit of problem, you definitely will loose some of the performance, but if you don't have a lot of things going on, it's ok. If you want to upgrade to lion, I recommend you to use this as your secondary computer. Hope this helps.

3. riko thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info but what I meant was would swapping HDD's cause any problems? I just want to test lion on my spare drive before installing it on my main one. Does Lion alter the firmware or anything?

cheers

4. MR.BUTTON macrumors member

sorry for misunderstanding. oh, that won't cause an issue. but apple seems have an firmware update for lion... check your manual, it should be okay.:)

mid-2010 macbook 5GB RAM:cool::apple:

5. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I have the same model macbook but with only 2GB of RAM. Lion doesn’t run AMAZINGLY well on it but it runs decent so I would imagine you’ll be fine with 4GB of RAM.

Keep in mind though, you don’t gain a lot of the functionality from Lion. The Early 2008 macbook can’t use the new trackpad gestures or airdrop; among other things.

I know it doesn’t answer your question about the harddrive swap but just thought I’d add my opinion on how it runs in case that’s why you want to test it.

6. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

When I wanted to test Lion, I installed it onto a 16GB thumb drive.
    Then I booted off of the USB thumb drive.

My 2007 MacBook only has 2 gigs of ram, and it actually runs Lion just fine from the usb drive. Which shocked me for 2 reasons:
    1) Lion is slower than Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro.
    2) I"M BOOTING OFF OF A USB THUMB DRIVE.

I decided it wasn't worth updating my Snow Leopard partition just because the MacBook can't take advantage of the new gestures (which I don't want anyway).

Just another way you could try it out.

7. riko thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers, that is weird that it ran so well from a USB drive. I do have a 16GB drive but I am using that as my lion install source so I think Ill stick with my spare HDD.

I don't really want to upgrade to Lion but as Mobileme is ending soon I need to transition to icloud

cheers