Testing Mac OS X 10.4 apps without rebooting.

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by GRMrGecko, Jul 29, 2010.

1. GRMrGecko macrumors member

GRMrGecko

Hello, I'm wondering if there would be a way to test my applications under 10.4 without rebooting. I own 4 copies of 10.4 and I have 10.4 on a partition to boot into and test my software, but I'll rather not have to reboot to test my applications as rebooting is a pain. I thought of a few things such as running my install dvd on VirtualBox, which didn't work. Leopard works on it and I think they don't allow Tiger because the user license for it doesn't allow virtualization which I would think I would be able to do it on my Mac. I also thought about chroot in terminal to make the root the tiger partition and then run the application from there to make it use Tiger's APIs and such, but it seems to not do anything when I run it. This is the command I ran "sudo chroot /Volumes/Tiger /Toolbar.app/Contents/MacOS/Toolbar" I did have the application in the tiger partition at that location if that maters. Anyone have a solution for testing this stuff under tiger? In the mean time I'll reboot to test this...

Thanks,
    Mr. Gecko

2. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

A second machine running Mac OS 10.4.x on a simple 2 machine network is the simplest you'll come up with.

3. GRMrGecko thread starter macrumors member

GRMrGecko

I know that, but the only other computer I have (not including my iPod) is my Server which I do not want to take down to test things you know. I don't want to spend money on another computer ether. Maybe hackintosh on VirtualBox? I would think that'll be legal as the computer it's running on is Mac and I own a lot of copies of 10.4 to begin with. It's just an idea. What do you think?

4. ThaGrapist macrumors newbie

The latest version of VMWare Fusion lists support for OS X Server. It only shows 10.5+ but it might be worth a try anyway, especially since they have a free trial.

5. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

My understanding is it won't work with any version of 10.4 but will allow you to host multiple version of 10.5 Server and later running on 10.5 server or greater.

6. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I had an old iMac for this kind of thing.
    I know you don't want to spend any money, but I was just looking on ebay and old iBooks and iMacs from the panther era -- still well able to run 10.4 -- are ~$100. These aren't great machines, but might work fine for testing depending on your software.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Even $100 PowerMac can run 10.4 and work well.

More responsive than running it in VMWare (yes it's possible to do 10.4 in VMWare but you can't update it, and it's pretty slow)