Testing new RAM in 12" PB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adokimus, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I just upgraded my 12" PB to 1.25GB RAM, using Kingston valueRAM from newegg. I didn't notice any significant performance leaps as of yet, but everything seems to work fine. Some people told me that valueRAM might not be compatible with certain powerbook models, so I ran a RAM testing program called "Rember." I just double-clicked it and it started along, and there were no problems reported. Is there anything else that I should do to test the RAM? I want to make sure that it is functioning perfect in case I need to return it.

Thanks!!

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Try downloading Rember. Its a memory test app. While it can't test all of it (the RAM used at the moment by OSX), it can test most of the RAM.

3. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Did you read his post?

Anyway. If the laptop is working fine, then the RAM is working fine. Memory that doesn't work in a computer generally causes the computer to not even boot.

Anyway, if you never used all the RAM before the upgrade, then you're not going to see any speed improvements. Having more unused RAM does nothing.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

whoops. You can try running Apple Hardware Test. Im not entirely sure if they have it for a 12" powerbook...you could try. Insert install disc #1 and hold D during bootup.

But Rember is probably more thorough.