Testing pages for MS Internet Explorer, on Mac

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MindBrain, Mar 5, 2010.

1. MindBrain macrumors regular

Does anybody know the best way to preview how web pages display (to check for bugs) for the most common versions of Internet Explorer, in Mac OS X without going into bootcamp of course?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Safari>Preferences>Advanced

Check the box that says "Show Develop menu in menu bar"

Now, click Develop in the menu bar, go to User Agent, and choose the browser of your choice.

3. MindBrain thread starter macrumors regular

Farout thanks

4. SailorTom macrumors regular

That does not make the page render in the same way as in IE, it just changes the user agent string, so any scripts that detect the browser to show specific content you can see.

To check full compatibility, i.e. the rendereing you really need to load the page up in IE in Windows, either using a virtual machine or bootcamp

5. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Surely, the last version of IE for Mac was released many, many years ago. Not much point in checking compatibility for that?

Edit: just noticed the crucial comma in your original post, which changes the entire meaning of it! So ignore my post! :)

6. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

Ta daa. It supposedly works with Mac OSX. This is literally IE running under DarWINE(WINE) and apparently they do some sort of trick to make the IE 7 rendering engine work with 6 with the Beta.

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Beta
    http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Known_issues

This is the first thing Im doing mhen I get my Intel Mac.

Having another work computer to test IE webpages is becoming cumbersome.

Or there is another way,

http://litmusapp.com/browser-testin...campaign=Website+testing&referrer=netrenderer

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I have Windows XP installed into a VirtualBox VM, then run standalone versions of IE so I can get multiple versions running at the same time to check how things work. I've tried the ies4linux type solutions and they just don't do it. They generally don't handle everything so it only gives you a guess how it will look and work in a real IE browser.

8. tomozj macrumors newbie

That works decently however it's not accurate - some things that simply were not working in it worked fine in the regular IE application on Windows (for example, EOT fonts).

Booting up XP is the only way of really testing this properly - a VM is probably the best option with IETester (you can load tabs with multiple versions of IE).

9. memco macrumors 6502

You can also use something like IE Netrenderer if you just need a quick snapshot of the page. It just generates an image of the (top of) the page, so it's not very useful if you're trying to test javascript or other active elements. For the full effect, testing on XP is the only real way to ensure it works right. As has been mentioned the WINE solution doesn't get it quite right on certain things.

10. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Something worth keeping your eye on maybe is winebottler. It's only in the Beta phase, and I understand it plays better with 10.5 rather than 10.6 at the moment.

11. memco macrumors 6502

@web_god61: since it's just IE he's concerned about, I recommend IE Netrenderer because it provides the same functionality, and is a much faster; you can usually see a page in less than a minute as compared to having to wait a half hour.