Testing Powerbook Display Outside Computer

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Mar 2, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've been complaining for a while that the display on my A1138 Powerbook(DLSD, HR) is very dim. As this is one of my most used PowerPC Laptops, this is bothersome to me.

A while back, a very generous MacRumors member offered a couple of Powerbook and iBook parts for the cost of shipping, and those have been gradually trickling in here. Among the parts was a "stripped" A1138 with the panel still attached. The computer still has the logic board, although as best as I can tell is pretty much dead. I put a stick of RAM in it, connected a top case, and plugged it in. I'd hoped that I could at least some sort of gray screen so that I could see what the panel looked like. Unfortunately, it won't progress past spinning the fans-I don't get a boot chime or any other signs of life.

I'm not posting out of interest in getting that one going, as it's missing a lot of parts and I don't think is worth the effort. Rather, I'd like to transplant the panel to my good A1138.

Looking at iFixit, it appears to be an involved enough job that I'd prefer to not blindly switch them without ensuring that I'm actually going to be upgrading the one in there(I'd hate to find that the replacement has liens or pressure marks).

So, I guess what I'm wonder is-does anyone know of a way to test the panel without actually installing it in a good computer? I don't mind to pull the donor panel out(and in fact would do so anyway before removing the one on my "good" computer) but am lost at where to go beyond there other than just plugging it into my good computer and trying it out.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would remove the entire display donor assembly with the hinges and all. Once it is out I would follow my guide to tightening those hinges before you install it. Then, simply pop the top case off the PowerBook and connect the cables while just holding the display. If I recall correctly, the display cables are on the top of the Logic Board.

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks-sounds like that shouldn't be too terrible of a job.

If we get the promised snow storm :) I'll give that a try.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yea. Calling for 3-6 here right now.

5. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The Euro model-the last I saw it-was calling for 16" here. The NAM model said 1.1". The local stations are calling it for anywhere from 4"-10" plus 1-3" of sleet depending on when exactly the cold air comes in.

It should be interesting...I'm hoping that they at least have the foresight to cancel classes tomorrow afternoon since the worst of it looks to start hitting around 1:00 or 2:00.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

We were off Monday but if we get off tomorrow or Thursday then I am doing all new paste on my G5.

7. California macrumors 68040

California

Im 99 percent sure the display works... Though the screen was not real bright as I recall. I also thought the problem with the logic board was the dc in board.

8. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks-I'll try to hook it up and see if it's better.

BTW, I'm headed to the post office this morning to pick up the last box!