Testing RAM

Discussion in 'iMac' started by arsenalgear, Aug 2, 2011.

1. arsenalgear macrumors member

Hi There,

What is the best way to test RAM? A few months ago I installed 2 x 2GB Samsung modules from OWC in my 24" iMac and upgraded to Snow Leopard. Since then, I have received a kernel panic, my computer has shut down unexpectedly, and it has been randomly freezing up, along with blinking pixels appearing and horizontal lines appearing across the screen on my desktop and in Safari.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi arsenalgear,
    there isn't a reliable testing for RAM (with-in Mac OS).
    The best way would be just trying to install the 'old' RAM & see if it becomes 'normal' again
    (if it's still happening then it'd mean that some of your hardware is shot... {most likely the MB}).

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Rember is a good RAM tester. It's reliable and thoroughly tests the RAM in your machine.

4. flatfoot macrumors 65816

memtest is best run from the command line in single user mode since the OS alone hogs a big chunk of your RAM that can't be tested.

In single user mode there's as much free (read: testable) RAM as possible.

5. arsenalgear thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

Do you know of instructions on how to run memtest from the command line in single user mode?

Thanks!

6. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Sorry, not off the top of my head. But there are instructions on their website and I'm sure if you google "memtest osx usage" something will turn up.

7. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Really?? Thats the BEST way??

Uhm...No...

memtest from within OS X will work fine.

You can also boot a live linux CD, some of them have memtest on them. I think there are also bootable memtest images that will work.

8. peaksutah macrumors newbie

apple hardware test

Insert your original install DVD, reboot holding D to boot into diagnostic mode, and run a hardware test.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509