Testing receiver volume without a voice or data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Laurooo, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Laurooo macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I first posted this in the iPhone tips and help forum, but didn't get any replies, so I thought I'd try here.

I recently purchased an 'as-is' iPhone 4 on Ebay for an awesome price. The seller (2ndTurnCanada) stated that receiver volume on the phone was low. This is fine by me, as I am solely using the iPhone as an iPod (just wanted a better camera). As such, I haven't activated it with a carrier.

Out of curiosity, I looked its serial number up on apple.ca and it is still covered under Applecare, but registered to someone else.

So, my questions:

1) Is there any way I can check the receiver volume without activating it with a wireless carrier? I could put a $15 pre-paid card on it to check, but I'd rather not spend the $15 if I don't have to. It's locked to Virgin, if that makes a difference at all.

2) If I brought it into an Apple store, would they fix the receiver volume for me, even if the iPhone is registered to someone else? I know Applecare is transferrable, but there is no way I can get it actually transferred to me, as neither I nor the Ebay seller know the original owner. And if I can get it fixed for free, I'd like to, in case I ever do want to use the phone feature.

Thanks!

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Sounds to me like it's a stolen phone (I could be wrong, obviously). Can you return it? I would if I was you.

3. Laurooo thread starter macrumors newbie

I really hope it's not stolen...the seller is top-rated and sells a TON of electronics, with good reviews. I've heard (not sure how true it is) that they are affiliated with Best Buy/Futureshop and sell stuff that customers bring back under warranty.