Testing Screen of 15" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kanewtz, Nov 26, 2014.

1. kanewtz macrumors member

i know this has probably been discussed to the moon but I would like to test my refurb rMBP for screen IR.

There must be multiple tests besides the checkerboard pattern one?

1) yellow bleed
    2) hazing
    3) etc.

Could someone explain others so I can ensure my purchase it good to go?

Thanks!

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

The test for IR is simple: use your Macbook normally for a couple of hours. If it suffers from IR, you WILL note it. If you don't note, it doesn't suffer from IR or it's hardly noticeable (that is, you won't return because of a very subtle IR issue).

The test for uneven yellowing is even simpler: nearly all Retina displays, if not all, are uneven. If you don't note, you'll be fine. If you note it, the only way to get rid of yellowing is by avoiding owning a Retina Macbook.

The test for creaking is: Retina Macbooks simply creak sometimes. Their cases are thinner and prone to noise when some pressure is applied to the case. Deal with it or stay away from Retina Macbooks.

Of course, for all the issues above you can ask for a replacement or return until satisfied.

3. kanewtz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for your reply.

I noticed it has the Samsung display...perhaps that's a better sign than if it was LG.

4. webdevfreak macrumors newbie

You can also test for Dead/Stuck Pixels. I just got a 2014 rMBP with the 750M and everything is fine after a couple weeks. It has the LG panel and compared to my 2012 rMBP and my friend's 2013 rMBP base (Both with Samsung Panels) The contrast on the LG is much better. But then again these machines are 1 and 2 years old so my test wasn't scientific. I did find an image retention test on the web that help to test as well. Good Luck but it seems with the Samsung you're safer with the retention issue.