MP 1,1-5,1 Testing Software for Speed Increases?

choreo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I have a 2012 5,1 running High Sierra.

I am getting ready to install a Sapphire Pulse RX580 to replace my two ATI 5770 graphics cards and was wondering if there is any testing software that would be good to check for any resulting speed increases? I know the RX580 has 8GB vs 1GB each on my current cards - so I am hoping for some increase.

I also am considering switching my boot drive to an OWC 1.0TB Accelsior 4M2 PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD Adapter Card from my current old Velocity Solo 2x SSD card and would like to test any increases there.

I work primarily in Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and some After Effects.

h9826790

macrumors G5
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have a 2012 5,1 running High Sierra.

I am getting ready to install a Sapphire Pulse RX580 to replace my two ATI 5770 graphics cards and was wondering if there is any testing software that would be good to check for any resulting speed increases? I know the RX580 has 8GB vs 1GB each on my current cards - so I am hoping for some increase.

I also am considering switching my boot drive to an OWC 1.0TB Accelsior 4M2 PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD Adapter Card from my current old Velocity Solo 2x SSD card and would like to test any increases there.

I work primarily in Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and some After Effects.
There are lots of benchmarks you can do. But nothing better that your real world work flow. If you can feel the cMP is noticeably faster, then most likely the upgrade works. If you can't feel any difference, then it usually means that the bottleneck is at somewhere else (e.g. your workflow is CPU limiting, and you upgrade the GPU, therefore, no performance improvement).

Reactions: choreo