Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halalmeats

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2020
Question:

if i have Firmware 23 on my Titan and i have a Mod.Firmware and i change the Version to 43 ( but it is a 23Mod) can we flash it with this tool without Eeprom writer?

On this app you can select the BIN file.

it was an update and not a downgrade.

No, from what i've pieced together it seems to be impossible to flash the Titan Ridge cards via software. TPS65983 doesn't having a flashable interface so that's why we nave to use an eeprom programmer.

DSM2.Hackintosh

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2020
The much bigger part is that it brings Thunderbolt to any MacPro or PC. Thunderbolt AIC Header obsolete, Thunderbolt Bios obsolete and its useful for other platforms aswell since it's behavior is like a usual pcie card.

AMD System? No problem!

Last edited:

DSM2.Hackintosh

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2020
Yes, you have to do the jumper trick if no Header is available.
Firmware wise yes but only the Titan Ridge Card was interesting for us.

The method OSY used for the Alpine Ridge should suit the pcie Alpine Ridge aswell.
Probably some small mods are necessary.

Edit: Will test something later today...

Edit2: Yes there are some modifications needed but it works.

Alpine Ridge:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-20 um 11.09.31.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-20 um 11.06.53.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Executor

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Yes, you have to do the jumper trick if no Header is available.
Firmware wise yes but only the Titan Ridge Card was interesting for us.

The method OSY used for the Alpine Ridge should suit the pcie Alpine Ridge aswell.
Probably some small mods are necessary.

Edit: Will test something later today...

Edit2: Yes there are some modifications needed but it works.
About Titan Ridge, are you able to connect dual HBR3 displays via a single Thunderbolt port? This would be required to get 6K on the Apple Pro Display XDR when using Display Port 1.4 GPUs that don't support Display Stream Compression (DSC) such as the Radeon RX 580 (6K 60Hz 10 bpc RGB requires dual 649MHz HBR3 but dual HBR2 could allow 8 bpc but I don't remember seeing anyone get 6K 60Hz 8 bpc RGB using dual HBR2 - that might be because this mode is missing the 3008x3384 timings in the EDID).

Maybe dual HBR3 comes for free with macOS once the Thunderbolt driver stuff is working, but what about Windows or Linux?

Did Thunderbolt IP get tested? (requires connection to another computer running macOS, Linux, or Windows)
Thunderbolt Target Display Mode? (requires an old iMac)
Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode? (requires a Mac booted into Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode; a Hackintosh would require some EFI stuff from a Mac)
Thunderbolt 1 Display?

DSM2.Hackintosh

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2020
Thunderbolt IP - works
Thunderbolt Target Display Mode - No iMac for testing available
Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode - tested with my MacPro7,1 and it works.
Thunderbolt 1 Display - No display for testing

Windows not tested yet since I don't use it at all.
Should in theory work with the bootcamp thunderbolt driver.

HBR3 not tested since I don't have the hardware for it.
But we tested a lot of different stuff and it works like on an original Mac.
Some small issue left with the xhci part, which I think is related to a missing/wrong power State but we will fix it for sure soon.

Reactions: Executor and JedNZ

ampman

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2016
No, from what i've pieced together it seems to be impossible to flash the Titan Ridge cards via software. TPS65983 doesn't having a flashable interface so that's why we nave to use an eeprom programmer.
Don't understand what this app does. Gigabyte says I can update my firmware. So what's the problem?
When I had the 43 firmware, the app told me that my firmware was up to date. If I opened the app now, the 43 firmware would do it for me. How are they going to do this in the future with firmware updates? Should we all send the Titan? ?? No, I do not think so

PS:

wy on this Mac Pro 5.1 all works without Hacked Firmware?

have the Apple TB3 to TB2 adaptor a firmware?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The people at eGPU.io have modified the Apple Thunderbolt firmware flasher for eGPUs. Maybe it could be modified to do host controllers. I don't know if it works at all on a cMP.

Linux has some code for flashing NVM but I haven't tried it. Not sure if it works on a cMP.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
HBR3 not tested since I don't have the hardware for it.
But we tested a lot of different stuff and it works like on an original Mac.
For this you'll need a Thunderbolt 3 dock using Titan Ridge controller (such as the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 but the DisplayPort 1.4 outputs come from an internal DisplayPort 1.4 MST hub which might be a problem - the second display would be connected to the downstream Thunderbolt 3 port) or a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort 1.4 adapter ( https://www.amazon.ca/Wavlink-Thunderbolt-DisplayPort-Resolution-Compatible/dp/B07S8W49T1 ).
For the displays, I suppose any DisplayPort 1.4 display with a high enough refresh rate should work. You either need two of them, or one with two DisplayPort inputs like the Acer XV273K that can be used at the same time (or at least detected as connected simultaneously).

Some small issue left with the xhci part, which I think is related to a missing/wrong power State but we will fix it for sure soon.
XHCI seems to work fine for me from cold boot with GC-TITAN RIDGE or GC-ALPINE RIDGE. I don't use sleep though because I have an external USB 3.1 gen 2 drive always connected so I don't know about power state issues.
Host NVM upgrade on Apple Macs is not supported. (Linux Link)

Why not just use a EEPROM Flasher?
I don't know if they mean Macs that come with Thunderbolt or just any Mac. Classic Mac Pro computers don't come with Thunderbolt. I don't know if support is impossible to add or if it could be added later.

I suppose an EEPROM Flasher isn't too difficult to use and would be useful to have around, but a software solution would be more convenient.

DSM2.Hackintosh

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2020
The difference between you and me is that I use the custom firmware we worked on with a couple of friends. I don't use the original firmware... So our situations are completely different.

But besides off that this only happens when the header is not connected to the Mainboard. Thunderbolt hotplug works without issues and also if the aic cable is connected.

To me the stuff Sounds like for all Macs in generell in the Linux link

Last edited:
Reactions: Executor

Executor

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NYC
I find it amazing that after all these years, smart people like Tsialex, DosDude and others keep making the Mac Pro 5,1 a viable system. Thank you for showing what is possible DSM2, I completely understand you have your reasons to keep things under wraps, I am saddened by this turn of events but the firmware is the product of your hard work and you should do with it as you see fit. If you ever decide to sell modified cards /accept donations or any similar service please let me know, I would gladly pay for the work. Best of luck in your future research.

foojitsu1

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2020
Huntington Beach, CA
The people at eGPU.io have modified the Apple Thunderbolt firmware flasher for eGPUs. Maybe it could be modified to do host controllers. I don't know if it works at all on a cMP.

Linux has some code for flashing NVM but I haven't tried it. Not sure if it works on a cMP.
@joevt

One of your posts on eGPU.io forum mentioned Imaginarium2 customization software. I caught wind myself during my research with the “43>23 flashing” fiasco. Still curious to know if we could configure firmware with imaginarium2 as an alternative to custom coding or “guessing” (my method!haha)

only problem (I think) is you need to be registered with intel as a developer to obtain a copy...

always appreciate your input!

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
@All
how many different Titan firmware are known to you?
Two: NVM 23 and NVM 43?
[automerge]1582416890[/automerge]
@joevt

One of your posts on eGPU.io forum mentioned Imaginarium2 customization software. I caught wind myself during my research with the “43>23 flashing” fiasco. Still curious to know if we could configure firmware with imaginarium2 as an alternative to custom coding or “guessing” (my method!haha)

only problem (I think) is you need to be registered with intel as a developer to obtain a copy...
Normal people don't get access to Thunderbolt info and tools. We have to use whatever scraps we find from Linux source, EFI source and binaries, ACPI disassembly, and firmware dumps.

foojitsu1

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2020
Huntington Beach, CA
Sounds like a tough road to head down. As a newb and former member of the “43” club, I’m very appreciative to have TB on the cMP, in any format. Think I’ll take some time to set up the gear and enjoy! :)

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2020
Can you see the macpro 5,1 running past Catalina? The way this fix is shrouded is giving me hope that this computer will be here longer than we think

Last edited by a moderator:

DSM2.Hackintosh

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2020
MacPro5.1 past Catalina:
Dont see any reason why it shouldnt.
We tested a native installation way without dosdude with OpenCore and it works.
Will also work in future if you use the OpenCore Bootloader for it
and of course if the GPU is supported in the OS Version which you try to install.

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2020
MacPro5.1 past Catalina:
Dont see any reason why it shouldnt.
We tested a native installation way without dosdude with OpenCore and it works.
Will also work in future if you use the OpenCore Bootloader for it
and of course if the GPU is supported in the OS Version which you try to install.

Okay makes sense.
When will the program begin for the titan ridge ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.