Testing the Moxiware magnet sleeve for Apple Pencil.

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by OCDMacGeek, Nov 30, 2015.

1. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

For those using the Apple Pencil, one of the biggest deficiencies is the inability to attach the pencil to the iPad Pro to keep it safe when transporting. I previously posted a video about a different method of attaching the pencil to the iPad Pro:

I just received the magnet sleeve from Moxiware and decided to test it out. I found the results to be somewhat disappointing. There's only one location that will really work, on the left side of the iPad Pro, but attached directly to the metal body. Please see for yourself in this video.

2. JeffMorse macrumors regular

Lame. I just had it shipped to me too. I was worried about it not working with the smart cover or silicone case.

Thanks for the review. Wish I'd waited.

3. OCDMacGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

Someone commented on the YouTube video, with a link to his own video. He is using the smart cover, not the smart keyboard, and he says that it sticks well for him. Maybe it's just the smart keyboard with the issue...

4. OCDMacGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

Yup, this thing doesn't work with the iPad Pro Smart Keyboard. I can't speak to the Smart Cover, but for the keyboard its useless. Fell down way too many times so I took it off.

5. wundram macrumors member

I've been using the moxi magnet with the silicone case, but no cover. It sticks really well to the right side of the ipad (oposite the smart keyboard connector) I can see how it wouldn't help much if you have a smart cover or keyboard attached however.

6. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I have been using it with the smart keyboard. In the fully closed position, I stick it to the back of the keyboard close to the edge. In the "laptop" position I stick it directly to the screen (either side of the isight camera). When I am transporting it, I stick it though my sitck on pen holder which unlike the OP I have it on the middle fold of the back of the keyboard hanging off the top edge (in portrait).

7. OCDMacGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

I'm having a hard time picturing where your pen loop is...mind posting a pic?

8. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

It is the top edge when in portrait.

image.jpeg

9. OCDMacGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

Good choice, that way it won't bulge when folding it back to use the iPad without the keyboard. Wish I had done that.

10. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

11. rfarmedilla macrumors newbie

hi everyone!

i'm writing and sharing my experience with moxiware.

i made an order online for the apple pencil magnet and the pencil holder. i paid for the shipping with tracking number. it was supposed to arrive 2-5 days before thanksgiving. alas, thanksgiving happened and no package arrived or even an email with the tracking number. i emailed them following up my order and they said that the dock wont be available till end december, so they'll ship it by then. IT WAS NOT STATED IN THEIR WEBSITE DURING THAT TIME. so i told them to send the pencil magnet instead. i opted not to order with the tracking number. more than 8 days has passed and still nothing. i keep asking them for an update and all they give me is a short and cold reply:

"Hi,
    It should arrive soon.

Thank you,
    Martin
    www.moxiware.com".

i told them to send me a receipt of some sort to prove that it was sent already but they never did. i told them i have not received anything yet and i am so annoyed already. they said they will be sending it again. another week has passed and still, nothing. i emailed AGAIN for a follow up and they said "we will be sending again".

so is this some kind of delaying tactic of theirs? the customer service emails seem that they don't care at all! i told them i lost interest already and just give me a refund. their reply: "it will take a week".

honestly right now, i don't care if they don't give me a refund or if i don't receive the package at all. i just want everyone to know how they handle their customers. and i do hope MOXIWARE gets to read this.

order at your own risk, everyone!

i placed the order NOV 19 2015 and it's already DEC 15 2015. all i paid for was a bunch of lies and lousy customer service.

from their website:

US and Canada:

- Standard Shipping: From 7.95$ - No Tracking (5 - 8 Days)
    - UPS Shipping with Tracking: From 10.95$ across the US and Canada (2 - 5 Days)

International:

- International Air standard Shipping: Starts at 8.95$ - No Tracking (6 - 12 Days)
    - International Air standard Shipping with Tracking: from 15.95$ - (6 - 10 Days)
    - International Express with Tracking: Starts at 32.95$ (4 - 7 days)

i don't live in PLUTO FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

moxiware, martin, you are very disappointing. i hope everyone gets to read this.

-rfa

phoenix az

12. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Wow. I'd say your going a little overboard here. I received mine a few weeks after ordering. They are in Canada and their postal system is a little on the slow side. I'm sure yours will show up, be patient.

13. rfarmedilla macrumors newbie

well, good for you. i really didn't mind waiting but what's annoying is that they keep telling me that it's on its way/they'll resend blah blah they didnt even bother informing me about the shipping availability of the dock! i had to follow up and find out! so as a customer who paid for the product already, deserves proper customer service at the very least. i even told them that the wait is ridiculous and is not what their website says- and i hope they would do something about it! there's an option for it to be shipped with tracking number and a shorter wait-- they should've done that if they would be sending it the second time to make sure the whereabouts of the paid product. i don't wanna sound like a brat but i'm sorry, all i was asking was proper customer support. not cold, 1-liner answers like "you'll get it". no need to be patient because like i said, i lost interest already. i only posted my rant just to give a heads up to those who'll be buying from them. moxiware is aware of my posts because i told them that i will be posting a review about them and will update it soon as i get my refund (since it takes a week apparently) i am hoping they would do something about their customer service and explain to me why the the 2 packages never arrived.

so as for now, BEWARE OF MOXIWARE

14. jjjmd macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2016 ---
    Dude. The magnet attaches to the front top screen of the ipad. Also should attach to the outside front of case where u have your pen loop.

15. DracMonster macrumors newbie

DracMonster

Sigh. Wish I'd read this before ordering. I'm disappointed with the magnet. Their website makes it look like you can stick it anywhere on the iPad but it's much more limited. It does not want to stick to the outside of my Logitech create case at all.

Oh well, my fault for making a knee-jerk purchase.

16. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

In the add did they show it sticking to the logitech case? The reason I ask is, it sticks very well to my apple smart keyboard in the middle when closed. I toss my ipad in my bag with it there and it has never fallen off.

17. DracMonster, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016

DracMonster macrumors newbie

DracMonster

Not specifically. The web site says "Smart cover and similar cases". It can stick to the Logitech keyboard's front bar on the inside (which is useless,) but the outside is a good bit thicker than apple's keyboard, and I guess it's too thick for the magnet to get through.

It's still semi-useful for keeping the pencil from rolling off the table when I set it down. I just wish it were a "traveling" solution.

EDIT: I played with it a little more and got it to stick in some spots. It's not at all secure enough to travel, though.

18. Xlancer macrumors newbie

Xlancer

Hi guys,

Just to share a solution that worked very well for me. Basically using a pen holder sticker which comes with a loop for the pencil - I stuck it to the back of my ipad on the top so it's easily accessible and doesn't hindle me using in landscape mode.

Attached Files:

19. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

???? My Pencil with its Moxiware sleeve sticks securely to my Apple Smart Keyboard in several positions. (I also have the Smart Case.)

20. OCDMacGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

If it sticks strongly enough to handle even light jostling, then they've changed the design or started using stronger magnets...

21. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

They must have because this video was posted a month ago and it seems to work extremely well. I've got one in transit and I'll report once I receive it.

22. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

Light jostling? Hell, if I stick the Pencil in the middle of my closed Smart Keyboard, I could be tackled but the Pencil would still be in its place.

The sleeve isn't for everyone but it's great for someone who's mobile and distracted like me. :oops:

(I've had mine since January, BTW.)

23. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I just looked at that video... That magnet looks thicker than the one I got. I ordered mine when they first came out (was in one of the first batches).

24. sneak3 macrumors 6502

I found it extremely useful and ordered one. Seems perfect to me. Just as advertised.

25. OCDMacGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

Mine was also in the very first batch. If they have attached a stronger magnet, I may buy another one and test.