Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Is there an app for testing the integrity of usb-sticks (and other storage like sd cards, ssd's hdd's)?

The app should write the storage full and then verify the write to see if there's corruption.
I've had some freezes and corrupted files with few sticks, but I'm not sure if it's about the host or port or what...

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Is there an app for testing the integrity of usb-sticks (and other storage like sd cards, ssd's hdd's)?

The app should write the storage full and then verify the write to see if there's corruption.
I've had some freezes and corrupted files with few sticks, but I'm not sure if it's about the host or port or what...
- It's for Windows, and you can run it from a VM (VM Ware Fusion has a free edition, Virtualbox is free, you can install and use Windows 10 without a licence). I know it's in German, you can switch the app to English when you open it.

There was a Mac version called F3X, but it failed to open the last few times I tried it.

There's this too: https://alternativeto.net/software/quick-disk-test/
- supposedly cross platform, though I've not tried it myself.

Let us know how you get on, good luck!

Reactions: toke lahti

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
- It's for Windows, and you can run it from a VM (VM Ware Fusion has a free edition, Virtualbox is free, you can install and use Windows 10 without a licence). I know it's in German, you can switch the app to English when you open it.

There was a Mac version called F3X, but it failed to open the last few times I tried it.

There's this too: https://alternativeto.net/software/quick-disk-test/
- supposedly cross platform, though I've not tried it myself.

Let us know how you get on, good luck!
Tested the H2testw first.
Seems like a good app.

Strangely I couldn't find errors on a 8GB stick, that I tried to use as a boot disk for Elementary OS.
The result was, that the laptop's internal hdd went to "write protected mode" and I accidentally erased the partition map, when I tried to find a fix to this problem.
In macOS, when you attach a storage and OS wants to "initialize" it, it does not destroy anything.
Well, not so in Windows... or was it with TestDisk...should have made some notes back then...

This 8GB stick has amazing slow write speed: 3Mbytes/s and quite nice read speed 14Mbytes/sec.
Maybe that slow write speed messed up things with "modern" OS... had to repair file system few times with it... and the Elementary was REALLY slow with it of course.

Maybe I should at least test the speed of all my sticks...

Now that I have the Elementary OS in a faster / reliable stick, how can I test it's speed?
What is the good storage speed test in linux (ext4).

It amazes me that these three computer ecosystems does not support each others file formats...

Last edited:

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Well if they all supported one another, then there would be no reason for one another to exist.

Read/write is a factor of the device and the drivers for said device. It's not going to be equal across all platforms because all platforms are not equal (identical).

Maybe it's not the sticks at all... but the OS and it's subsequent drivers.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Quick disk test is really here:
And I couldn't run it, I'm not going to dig any deeper to some java console...
F3X crashes instantly on Mojave, so my tests will continue on windows and linux (F3)...

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Well if they all supported one another, then there would be no reason for one another to exist.

Read/write is a factor of the device and the drivers for said device. It's not going to be equal across all platforms because all platforms are not equal (identical).

Maybe it's not the sticks at all... but the OS and it's subsequent drivers.
Might be, the laptop is old workhorse, hp's 6930p and so far it has been stable and snappy with another usb-stick installation. Time to order some ssd's...

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Is this only for SD-cards?
All my disks show as gray and it asks no permissions?
(Ventura)

Do I need to "brew install f3" for this to work?
(Well, that didn't help.)

w00t?
You need to install Docker virtual machine to run f3read/write?
Wonderfully simple, fast and easy to use, if these are needed for this F3XSwift...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.