Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I don't use AOL but I'm working on a web site that I'll need to have look right with AOL. Can I test it without signing up for AOL myself? Even if AOL turns free, I'd rather not have to sign up, but I will need to test pages regularly.

Do AOL users still use a special web browser from AOL, or do they pick any web browser they like, as the rest of us do? Is testing with some version of Internet Explorer for Windows equivalent to testing for AOL/Windows users? What about Mac users?

L

Lau

I'm not sure how AOL renders a page, but it is a piece of standalone software, and users don't use a browser, or mail, it's all integrated into the software. It's also worth bearing in mind that their browser window will be smaller than their screen, because the AOL program puts a big banner and bar down the side.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
As far as I know, AOL allows users to use an existing browser to browse the web. I haven't used AOL, so I have no idea, but I'm fairly certain this is how it works.

However, that being said, as far as I know the AOL client is wrapped around Internet Explorer, much like the MSN client is/was. This is strange, of course, considering they own Netscape ... but oh well. They may have switched over to Mozilla-based rendering by now, but testing against either IE or Firefox would be sufficient, I think.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
AOL on Windows just uses Internet Explorer 6, and on Mac its some form of Mozilla.

L

Lau

Lixivial said:
As far as I know, AOL allows users to use an existing browser to browse the web. I haven't used AOL, so I have no idea, but I'm fairly certain this is how it works.

However, that being said, as far as I know the AOL client is wrapped around Internet Explorer, much like the MSN client is/was. This is strange, of course, considering they own Netscape ... but oh well.

That is a point - users can use their own system apps – in the final dark days of my AOL contract, I used Mail.app, Safari and iChat. But most users who use AOL either on a Mac or a PC will be using its own built in browser, which may render a page in its own special, exciting way, as AOL software is wont to do...

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
I had this problem a few years back. All you can do is ask a buddy or a friend with the AOL browser to check it. I bet hardly anyone uses it anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.