Tests show Safari 4 "clearly the worst" for battery life

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by clevin, Sep 13, 2009.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=1361
    http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3636

test conducted by anandtech

AMD machine
    [​IMG]

Intel machine
    [​IMG]

netbook, this result is especially astonishing
    [​IMG]

2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Bad is a understatement.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Flash does make my fans spin up which would decrease the battery a bit, however I still get 5 hours battery life out of my 08' macbook using Safari so it hasn't really be a problem.

Doesn't Safari render pages faster than any other browser allegedly?? Who needs longer battery life to browse website when you can render all the webpages you need faster so have to spend last time doing it.:p

4. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

1. this is a windows platform test
    2. they are talking about safari handling flash badly, they didn't actually discuss how adobe flash is itself good or bad.

I should have quoted original text from anandtech..rather than zdnet.

nobody says anything about safari rendering page faster, only definitive test is showing it handles js faster, on the millisecond scale. which u probably can't tell.

again, this is a windows platform test.

5. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Not really that surprised. Safari 4 gums up my powerbook... Although I should probably upgrade the ram from 512 :eek:

... Next paycheck I will

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Safari is optimized for speed. They make if fast by finding "things to do" with the CPU. It is counter intuitive but the programs that appear fast tend to use more CPU and RAM. For example it might be rendering things in the background that you __might__ look at. The work is wasted if you don't but it makes if fast if you do look.

If you want longer battery life you have to give up on these kinds of speed optimizations.

OK, they could offer the user a choice "speed or battery life" and even force the choice based on if the power connector is plugged in. But it appears they just went after speed.

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

That's on Windows, who cares.

On the Mac, Safari uses the least resources of any browser, at least in mine and most users experience. Making Safari clearly the best for battery life.

8. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

I haven't seen any CPU test on macs. and memory tests shows safari is using largest amount of RAMs among released browsers.

better for battery on mac? somebody might need to test that then make a judgment. Clearly u haven't.
    thats called pre-fetch, many browsers have been dong that, or was doing that (firefox, chrome, etc), it can not be the reason for the test result.

The article mentioned poor handling of flash is a big cause, they have some test results to support the speculation.