teTex for METAFONT programming

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by FeelingForSnow, Jul 29, 2010.

1. FeelingForSnow macrumors newbie

FeelingForSnow

Hi,

Is there someone who could help me. I need to get the teTex distribution. The only link provided everywhere is not working
    http://www.tug.org/teTeX/

I have installed fink and tried to install iTexMac. Fink looks ok to me but I cannot run iTexMac, i guess i need something, not sure what is it. Or maybe my fink is not good enough since there isnt a nice installation process as usually but via terminal.

Is there someone using teTex? Maybe there is some other path to take and i have not taken the right one?

Many thanks,

2. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

3. FeelingForSnow thread starter macrumors newbie

FeelingForSnow

Hi,
    Thanks..yaa Ive got Tex for LaTex but teTex, which i have never seen, is used or METAFONT programming, MF is algorithmic program that creates fonts, that is, letters used in LaTex, as well as all sorts of graphics and the code should be done in the plain editor, saved and then run by the teTex command window. Its just that it seems that everywhere i look for it, its been taken out.

Also i have been trying to use terminal to find out if teTex is already in the Tex distribution but it seems that it isnt.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

From the link you provided:

teTeX used to be the standard Linux TeX distro many years ago, but has since been replaced. METAFONT was included, but was only a part of teTeX.

I think you might be looking for something more along the lines of OzMF available from here: http://www.trevorrow.com/oztex/

B

5. FeelingForSnow thread starter macrumors newbie

FeelingForSnow

Thanks for your answer. I still have not found the right way of doing this. TexLive does contain Metafont programming. Its just that i need the editor. Right now I have no idea which editor is it. I need an editor which would create a gf file and then i can convert it using gftopk and proceed. But this first step is something i cant find the information anywhere. i have been trying several things to create gf file and at one point used X11 and just after a while i noticed that a gf file has been created but not in the directory it was supposed to be. And now, I have no idea which one of my efforts created a gf file. Not a programmer, have never learned anything just using the brute force. Not very wise but im positive.

P.S. Do i need to uninstat TeXLive iif i want to install OzTeX?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

:)

It has been close to 20 years since I was really into TeX/MF, so I am of little help with the details. If you have a guide that works with teTeX you could always just install one of the older Linux distros that came with it in VirtualBox/Fusion/Parallels. (e.g. ubuntu 6.06.)

B

7. ThaGrapist macrumors newbie

That link works, but read what it says: teTeX has been discontinued. I suggest you get MacTeX (it's the Mac version of TeX Live). It comes bundled with TeXShop which is still maintained, while iTeXMac hasn't been updated in over 3 years. But really, you can use any plain text editor for (La)TeX/MF.