tether 2016 Macbook Pro and iPhone for internet.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wackymacky, Mar 9, 2017.

1. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Given the lack of standard USB on new MacBook Pro, is the best way to tether cell connection for internet between a current iPhone and 2016 MacBook Pro to use a apple USB-C to lightning cable?

They are described as for charging and syncing. I presume there isn't a chip in them that prevents tethering, and it will be the most reliable and fast connection.

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

I don't have an iPhone, but on my Android phone I can make it a Wifi hotspot. Then I just connect to that SSID with my macbook.

I assume you can do something similar with an iPhone.

3. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

I just use WiFi or Bluetooth. Just as stable as a cable.

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

If you use it on bluetooth, you can put the iPhone 10 feet away from you while tethering to save some cell radiation exposure :eek:

5. wackymacky thread starter macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I was under the impression that data transfer was faster using the cable for tethering. I'll probably ge tone of th cables and experiment.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Like Jerryk said above I have done with my Android tablet and worked very well.

7. szilske macrumors member

I haven't used cable for tethering since Yosemite. I always just use the instant hotspot feature and it works very well. Only sometimes it won't immediately establish the connection, switching WiFi off and on again usually solves that. Once it is connected, I have zero issues.

8. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

I don't think there is that much difference. the limit will probably be your mobile provider. The wifi chip is quite good on the iPhone, so should get Wifi speeds faster than your data connection.