Tether 3GS to iPad 2 without jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NoIdea!, Mar 27, 2011.

1. NoIdea! macrumors member

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before but is it possible to share/tether your iphone 3GS internet connection with the iPad 2 without having to jailbreak either device?

Cheers.

2. NoIdea! thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I wanted to know if I could like emit a signal FROM my iphone 3gs TO the iPad. I have the wifi only ipad 2 and wanted to tether my internet from my iphone without jailbreaking.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh, I read that backwards. What service provider do you have?

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

You can do it with iOS 4.3 but with some carriers you need to pay extra money for the tethering plan.

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

He doesn't need to be on 4.3. If he already has tethering, he can tether over bluetooth at least to his iPad.

6. NoIdea! thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

I am on T-Mobile (UK) I have 4.3.1 update.
    So I can do it? What do I need to do?

Thanks very much!!

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

If you have web 'n' walk plus or web 'n' walk max then you just need to enable the personal hotspot and pair your phone and iPad over bluetooth. Then, just connect your ipad to the phone in Bluetooth settings and you're done
    If you have basic web 'n' walk then you can't tether and will have to upgrade to one of the other two packages

8. NoIdea! thread starter macrumors member

Just figured it out in my network settings - thanks!
    However, when i load a web page on my ipad, T-mobile webpage automatically comes up saying the bundle or something isn't available?!

Any one have any idea what this means?

9. NoIdea! thread starter macrumors member

Oh nice one, didn't refresh the page before i posted again.

I'll look into upgrading then. That must be why it won't let me browse even though it's connected. Thanks!

10. NoIdea! thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

I've just got off the phone to T-Mobile and they told me that the web package I have is the top they offer and that it should tether with the iPad. I have tried again and I still get this message:

'sorry but we can't give you the details of available or current Boosters at the moment'

I have just turned the wireless off on my macbook pro and tethered my internet from my iPhone and it worked perfectly so I can't understand why it won't work with my iPad 2?!

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks.