tether a desktop ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Panchophone, May 9, 2010.

1. Panchophone macrumors newbie

With jailbreak 3GS 3.1.3, can you tether it to a desktop computer w USB interface ?
    ...and will one be able to tether and receive calls on iphone while tethered to desktop w/ USB ?

Is there any difference between between tethering to a desktop or a laptop ?

Thanks

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

yes you can tether to a desktop because I do it at my office. I figured I would have to get a usb device and maybe some software but I turned on mywi and unplugged my modem and bam! it works. I had to do NO setup of any kind!!

now a laptop can work both ways with usb or wifi but with wifi you just look for your iPhone whatever you have named it. and yes you can make and receive phone calls. but if you have a short data cable your head might be under your desk!! you need to keep your iPhone plugged in so it wont drain your battery so that is why I used the data cable to begin with not even thinking it would connect and charge at the same time but it does. if you have a bluetooth device that would work great so you could talk easier.

3. Panchophone thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great. My intention is also to tether in my office. Right now I am using a AT&T USB aircard that comes in at about $70+ a month. I also carry around a Palm Tungsten Calendar (non-phone), and my Razr cell. I was also planning on buying a Tom Tom or similar device for my car, as I currently am doing a lot of driving around looking for residential addresses in unfamiliar places, and I use my aircard both in my office and at various and remote residential addresses..

It seem to me that an iphone; with tethering; and access to yahoo calendar on the net; and a Tom Tom GPS App. on the iphone would very neatly combine all four of these functions in one handy dandy device, and save me a few bucks a month.

I was going to buy an iphone 3GS last week, but some wise folks on this forum advised me that the 4G is expected out in mid June, and would likely be rapidly followed by a jailbreak to enable tethering. So, I'm going to go with what I have until then.

Thanks.

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

yes I think you are on the right track. there is nothing official on the new iPhone but it probably is for real. I am guessing it will come in at least $100 more than the 3gs.