Tether a wireless router ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Panchophone, May 9, 2010.

1. Panchophone macrumors newbie

Tether a wireless router ?
    With jail break 3GS 3.1.3, can one connect it to a wireless router that has a USB port for an aircard, but instead of using an ATT aircard, use the iphone w/ a USB card ? Would like to do this because for my purposes I have both laptop an desktop running, but use them for different things.

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

why dont you put all of your questions on one thread instead of opening 3 different ones?? anyway you dont need a router. just plug your iPhone into a usb port on your computer and turn on tethering and you have internet and can surf and talk at the same time.

3. Panchophone thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate your effort but, I have learned that if you put too many variants of the same question in one topic, then it becomes more likely that you won't get all of your variants answered.

Also, as in this instance, some will not read the question. The reason I am asking about the router is, as stated in the question:

"Would like to do this because for my purposes I have both laptop an desktop running, but use them for different things.".

So, to repeat the question, "...can one connect it to a wireless router that has a USB port for an aircard, but instead of using an ATT aircard, use the iphone w/ a USB card ?", and I am hoping that someone will help me with information.

Also, the ability to receive calls while tethering is essential because I have some virtual phone numbers that I use in my advertising, and I have these call forward to my cell so that I can be the first to answer these cold calls, as I have found that my secretary is not the best a reeling in a potential customer.

I have one or two USB extensions around that I should be able to patch into the data cord from the phone. I always keep my laptop plugged into 110 at the office, so I don't expect any problem with battery power in the office. At remote residential locations, I typically have my laptop running about 3 hours, so, there too, I always plug the laptop into a wall outlet.

Again, I appreciate your help.

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

ok I have no idea on the air card. I dont think there is any way to hook the iPhone to the router to broadcast your signal. but you should be able to hook the iPhone to the desktop and run internet through that connection. you can also access the iPhone via wifi from your laptop while it is plugged into the desktop. or, you can plug your iPhone into a wall outlet to keep it charged and access the internet on both computers using a wireless connection. but in all cased you can toss your router because you really dont need it.

I saw your entire question earlier and thought I answered it buy maybe I did not make it clear. hope this helps!

I think you are going to be one happy camper!!!

5. Panchophone thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not realize those other options that make a router unnecessary.
    Very good, thanks.