Tether after first month

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ViViDboarder, Aug 16, 2008.

1. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

Hey. I was wondering what peoples billing experiences were after tethering. I assume you probably used more data, but did AT&T know? No extra fees right?

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Haven't really used it much, but no i didn't have any extra fees.

3. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Don't be stupid while tethered and i doubt AT&T will care.
    AT&T has already said they will shut people down for using torrent apps. so if your constantly streaming data up & down expect to feel the wrath of AT&T.

4. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

^god AT&T sucks...what we do with our data service is our business. The last time I checked we were paying and extra $20-$30 a month so AT&T better get with the times and improve, upgrade and expand their infrastructure to handle data throughput into the 21 century and shut the hell up already.;)

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Uh, right. If we all actually did use the network like that, you'd suddenly find that you couldn't get on the network at all since it has become overtaxed. I'm sure you'd be just thrilled with that.

It's all well and good to say they should "upgrade," but there is NO network of any sort that is made to run 100% of the users at 100% use 100% of the time. It's just not going to happen. And if it did happen, prepare to pay $250 a month for it, because it would be a MUCH larger network than anything AT&T currently has.

6. markgamber macrumors 6502

If it really sucks that much, go to Sprint. They have tons of network and 12 users. Or go try T-Mobile and find out what slow is really about.

7. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

Cool. I'm traveling tomorrow and I was thinking of doing it while at the airport. I doubted there would have been an issue, but there was never a thread on it.

8. skythefly13 macrumors 6502

haha, im sure they all have the iphone killer "the instinct" too

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Uh....I didn't read ANYWHERE in SolRayz' post any mention of AT&T preparing their network for 100% of their customers to start tethering. SolRayz just made what I think is a fair demand that AT&T bring their throughput up to a level that could handle a reasonble and expected volume of traffic on thier network and turn tethering on for the iPhone like the other carriers have for most of their phones. It's not an unreasonable expectation....esp considering many customers wouldn't even know how to use it let alone have a need.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Why do you have to be like that? The desire to tether is not unreasonable. Instead of accepting mediocre service, stand by your fellow AT&T customer and demand the same priviledges other carriers offer.

11. richg916 macrumors regular

Pricing
    Unlimited Data Plan for Phone as Modem — $49.99/month*
    includes Wireless WAN
    no overage charges

Simply Everything
    GPS: Unlimited maps, turn-by-turn directions and more with Sprint Navigation for Sprint and PowerSource phones, or TeleNav™ for Nextel phones. GPS reliability varies by environment.
    Sprint Mobile Email: Access multiple personal email accounts in a single application on featured phones. Providers include: AOL, Windows Live (including MSN/Hotmail), Yahoo! and Gmail.
    Sprint Mobile Email Work: Access and manage your corporate email and contacts on the Samsung Instinct™, and other compatible phones - multiple personal, Web-based accounts too. Supports Microsoft Exchange 2000/2003/2007 accounts (via your phone's Microsoft Outlook client) and Lotus Domino 6.0/6.5/7.0 accounts (via Desktop Redirector software you can download to your PC and then use to direct email to your phone).
    Sprint Music Premier: 99¢ music downloads and unlimited access to more than 150 channels lets you listen to millions of melodies.
    Sprint TV® Premier: Your favorite shows on the go with more than 20 channels to choose from including Ellen DeGeneres On-the-Go, Comedy Central, MTV, Discovery, Nickelodeon and more.
    BlackBerry® Internet Server (BIS): Manage up to 10 different accounts with a simple three-click email setup, and IM on the go with Yahoo!® Messenger, AIM®, Google Talk and BlackBerry Messenger. Please note: BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), which provides secure corporate email access and access to corporate IT administration, is not included and available for an additional cost.
    Messages: Unlimited nationwide, text, picture and video messages to anyone on any network.
    Direct Connect® and Group Connect®: Unlimited instant connections, nationwide and at the push of a button. Group Connect is limited to 20 participants on the same network.
    Phone as modem or tethering: not included.
    Corporate, government or special discounts: Do not apply.
    Simply Everything™: Corporate, government or special discounts do not apply.

This is just an example of Sprints charges for tethering... Why do you consider AT&T having mediocre service? AT&T does offer it but not on the iPhone. Here's the link http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/solutions/wireless-laptop/laptop-connect-devices.jsp

And pricing is here: http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/popup/dataconnect-comp-table.jsp

It does look like it's about $15-25 more, but the option is there, just not on the iPhone.