Tether Data

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by NJFP, Nov 1, 2012.

1. NJFP macrumors 6502

So, just updated to 6.01 and was looking in my system settings. Under Cellular Usage, there's a section Tether Data. It shows 6.0KB Sent and 18.0KB Received. Interesting thing is, I DON'T TETHER!! Haven't used my phone as a modem ever. Whats up with this???

2. raf66 macrumors regular

I can't be of much help I'm afraid, but I did want to let you know that I encountered the exact same thing a couple weeks ago. The "tether" section just randomly appeared (after having owned the phone for 3-4 weeks and it not being on there) and it showed data being exchanged even though I've never tried to tether. I needed to call Verizon to check on another item and while I had them on the phone I inquired about whether they were showing I was tethering data. The Verizon rep said no and also confirmed that you not only need to turn on tethering from your phone (which I had never done), but you also have to sign up for the service from Verizon, which is an added monthly cost (which I also had never done). Interestingly within 24-48 hrs. or so that section disappeared and I haven't seen it since. I've also received a cell bill since then and nothing showed up related to tethering on that either. BTW, I just upgraded to 6.0.1 in the last hour and the "tethering" section isn't showing up there either.

I'm not sure what is going on or if others have experienced something similar, but maybe a phone call to your carrier to confirm that their records reflect that you're NOT tethering may be helpful. I wanted confirmation so that no new charges would be added to my bill without me intending to use the service. I have to admit that since I've got a grandfathered unlimited data package on my iPhone 5, tethering 4G LTE to my home iMac desktop would be nice because it's soooo much faster than my DSL. But it's not nice enough to add $15/mo. or whatever to my cell phone bill.

3. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I don't have a "Tether Data" section. Odd that some people are getting it and others aren't. Maybe this is a provider-dependent thing?

I do have tethering through AT&T and use it frequently (and for quite a bit last weekend)

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

AT&T here. No Tether Data section on my phone.

5. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

A while back, I wanted to add tethering to my iP5 for a couple weeks so I could use my iPad 2 on the road. When I tapped the button to do this in the iP5's settings, the entire option disappeared. Today, after updating to iOS6.0.1, it's there again as 'Set Up Personal Hotspot". I'm on Vz and have been for years. What gives with this?